Complete France Forum

Aussie Accent

Mayennaise

Now... I'll tell you what happened to me some 25 years ago

Picture me a French girl recently arrived in UK to live with OH and we are starting a camping site on our smallholding in Wales...

A beaten up VW beetle arrives with Aussie Ssheelargh and Bruce, wanting to camp so I told them where to camp, do's and don'ts on the site, where to find the ablution block, bins, etc...register their names and payment. Both go onto the field as directed and I carry on my life....

20 minutes later the Sheelargh knocks on the door and says (Please imagine the thickest aussie accent possible!)

'I've forgotten my tenpaeks'

Me 'Sorry being French and still new with anglophone accents...'

so she tries again 'I've forgotten my tenpaeks'

Me thinking 'Poor girl! its her wrong end of the month and she has run out of the necessary!' that I went to my bathroom and grab my box of Tampax and gave it to her....

She burst out laughing and I felt most, MOST embarrassed until I realised that it is not Tampax she wants but TENT PEGS!!!

I then fell about in hysterical laughter.

To remedy the embarrassment, I was invited back to a good barbie that night by their tent complete with tenpaeks!!!...

Incident most memorable, not so much of the evening as there was gallons of the amber nectar flowing!!!

No misunderstanding of the language but having helped some Eastern Europeans with a Camping Gaz cylinder-their's had run out-they invited us over later to assist with an unmarked bottle of home-made spirit-never did find out what it was made from,but extremely effective.

Archived