Complete France Forum

We have too many users

Will

I am not sure how many active users we have here at present, but I am afraid it looks like far too many.

I have just looked at another forum about France, and will respect the agreements not to mention its name. It seems to have come up with a brilliant scheme to ensure a bright future for itself, and the website of which it is part.

The administrator intends to convert the forum into an 'exclusive club', providing a 'well balanced team' and has already closed the forum to new members.

The idea is to reduce the membership to 60-70, then, only if a member leaves or is removed, will a new membership be available (presumably the admin expects a waiting list, and a blackballing committee to vet applications?). One of the grounds for removing a member is if that member fails to make a post during an eight week period. The existing users are promised a seven-page explanation(!) imminently.

So there we have it - now we know where this forum is going wrong.

Seriously, does that way of running a forum not beggar belief? I do hope that Complete France will continue to accept, and welcome, new users, who will be free to contribute, or not, as often or as little as they wish.

To take a hypothetical case, this restriction to a small number of 'members' would be unique, I think.

This sort of thing is done (I run a couple of 'closed' forums myself) when the membership is a) professionally involved in a project or other activity, and b) public involvement would be a distraction, inasmuch as the expertise you want is within the group. Even then our membership is in the hundreds, and we don't get posts every day.

That is a million miles away from most online discussion forums. It sometimes frustrates old hands when new posters ask questions which are frequently answered etc., but the interchange of ideas and opinions is fascinating (if you can keep the trolls out).

So, James, NO!

Actually it sounds sensible. In all 'markets' there are spaces or niches for people trying different things. I wouldn't be a candidate for such a club, but fair game to those who want to have one.

AND , as people have shown here, one can be in many forums (fora??). It gets irritating when conversations (or feuds) overflow from one to the other, but that is life.

But will they have a funny handshake and have to paint their computers yellow ?

It would be interesting to read the comments and postings from the "well balanced team" if it comes to fruition here.

Was it Groucho Marx who said, "I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would accept me as a member"?

weedon

It would not bother me in the slightest.  Kicked out if you don't post for 8 weeks?   I may worry (a little) if the timescale was reduced to 8 minutes though.

I think some forum members would need to worry about the 'well balanced' aspect though. 

As Miki likes to say, "We're  mad we are"!!!!!

[quote]

As Miki likes to say, "We're  mad we are"!!!!!

[/quote]

Yeh sure....if you ever catch me saying that,  shoot me !! [+o(]

Maybe the bossman and the mod can buy a book on France and throw some

questions at the Forum? What was that blinding question Mr mod asked

recently ?

Some of us got banned for asking questions and offering help, I have no

worries whether it is carries on or not, they showed pure ignorance to

people who offered serious help and they are still pigging about. Now

they say, "whoops got it wrong with the rigidity of membership"

.......................really. My thoughts are that they should have a

go at  thatsbulgaria, won't be so obvious that any knowledge of that country is missing, unlike France is for them !

No way, Will is now a half rebel [;-)]

He is under Dicks wing and is a junior rockabilly rebel (remember that

song....by Matchbox) but is looking good to be another

James..................................Dean [B]