Complete France Forum

What is this instrument of torture/pleasure!!!

Winegum

After reading the 'What is it?' thread about the martinet it made me

think of this amazing looking creation which we saw last year in

Reignac - a fortified house, now classed as a historical monument, near

Rouffignac. We pondered for many minutes as to the possible uses of

this contraption and decided it was either a wierd instrument of

torture or maybe (heaven forbid) something to do with childbirth! Any

suggestions?

Jude

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/bikesindordogne/Whatsitfor.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Bugbear"]The two handles look like they have received some serious gripping.....................[:D][/quote]Gyno' chair then, deffo.  (Not that I've had any experience in that department, you understand but my women friends who have do tell me..)

Unlike the thing we saw in a different area (which I think was a rack) it doesn't have any manacles, so presumably whoever used it did so voluntarily. It was standing next to two suits of armour and a metal cage! They obviously locked people in the cage and then maybe poked them with sharp sticks! (Far better than ASBO's eh!). But if that chair was for giving birth I'm blinkin' glad I didn't live in that era. [:-))] But then of course those suits of armour did make me think of knights on white chargers ... so ... maybe ... [kiss]

Jude [:D]

Tresco, yes I can see the alien!

But going back to giving birth in the thing, if you push your feet out in the stirrups it must pull the bar back towards you ... maybe to bite on? And talking of things like speculums I wonder what their forceps were like? I did see a stout pair of fire tongs in that room!  Eeeeek [:-))]

Jude