Complete France Forum

Never a Dull Moment

Gardian

Been having trouble with the water heater in the garage for months - leaking from a joint just underneath the tank. Getting a plumber is like the UK, so decided to fix it myself and while I was at it, replace the whole thing (original one, hard water area, probably well chalked up & it was). Did the deed, no leaks, great.

A few weeks on, weeping joints, not just in one place but two. DIY amateur!  Left it for as long as I could, but by yesterday, it had to be sorted. It took about 5 hrs, with a couple of emptying and re-filling of the tank, but in the end, OK (I think).  However, just happened to be round the back of the house and noticed that the low-lying area below the pool was waterlogged - like 3cms of water & flowing.  Anything to do with the mini-flood in the garage?  Worse still, had the pool developed a leak?  No drop in the pool water level, but ......  Decided to adopt the ultimate diagnosis and sleep on it.

Dozing in bed at 08.00 this morning with the 1st mug of tea and listening to 'Today', only to be rudely interrupted by the phone.  "It's the Mairie - we've got to cut off the water in 15 mins.  Big leak." Within 5 mins, there was a JCB within 15 metres of our back door digging a 3M hole in the forest just on the other side of our fence. I still don't know how he was able to pinpoint the breakage, much less how he was able to get the JCB through 100M of undergrowth and trees!  Leak fixed and water back on by lunchtime (of course!)

Moral of the story - problems often disappear by tomorrow[:)]

Gardian, don't the French have a word for your kind of attitude?  "Insouciant" comes to mind.  Anyway, I admire your style.  Will they be sending you the bill, do you think?  After all, it's not as though you are best pals with your maire?

Sleep on that one, Gardian, and keep smiling!

No, won't be getting a bill, because it was the supply pipe off of our property which serves all the other houses.  Actually, the secretaire was as nice as pie yesterday morning, so perhaps I'm back in their good books?  Fat chance! 

Archived