Complete France Forum

Re: Banned List; but not on the Forum!

mint

[quote user="powerdesal"]He objects to cliches but uses ....''happening dude''...., just what on earth is a 'happening dude' ?????????[/quote]I think you need to read it again, Steve.  What I think he was trying to say (and clearly, failed!) is that those who understand the phrase might be impressed by the verbose, whilst the "fuddy duddies" who prefer clear English will recognise the pretentious.  Well, that's how I read it, but then I'm no happening dude myself.[:D]

Concerning the example of the diminutive Antipodean chanteuse, who, by the way had a superb antipodean, a pearl of its kind too often exposed before swine, one must take a tad of strong umbrage at what that Coran chappie wrote, for the replacement phrase lacks style, class or even wit unless used too frequently by ignorant followers of verbal fashion, and is an example of the nefast influence of brutalist clarity as propounded by the Plain English Society, also known as the Society for the Propagation of Crass, Boring Language for the Effectively Illiterate.

In other words, for Sweets who has a first in Ling., Coran's talkin borrox.

I do like the Independent - they treat their readers as adults and quote what people write or say and do not resort to ***, @@@, !!! to replace some of the letters in a word or resort to 'crossword clues' so that you can work out what the word was.

Also liked Corens comments.

Paul

Archived