Complete France Forum

Negative Thread Drift

Dick Smith

There have been a few occasions recently where (new) posters have started new threads on old topics rather than post a supplementary question in an existing thread. What's that all about? Is it this 'fear of hijacking' that some posters seem to feel - that somehow the OP has a proprietary right to the thread, or what? Whatever the reason the end result is a proliferation of threads discussing the same subject which just makes life very complicated for anyone looking for advice. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hesitant to give my support on Dianes thread "My dog died to-day" to the person who posted yesterday who lost her cat.  I ummed & aahhed -  but the thought of this person being upset over the loss of her cat got the better of me.  I was however worried that bringing up the old thread might upset Dianes all over again if she were to see it - but didn't think it very appropriate to tell Charallais to start a new thread about her cat. 

Maybe the newbies aren't aware of how to start a new thread - I know that when I first joined it took me a while to get used to using the forum.  It's important to read the rules before you post I think.

Yes, but I haven't noticed it being 'negative' as such, just a little odd.

I take a different view as to why new members do this.

I think they settle down and start looking through the old posts, in whatever section. (A good idea!).

Then they come across a thread that reflects - or reminds them of - something that they had in mind to ask about. They bravely click on reply, and post, unaware that the thread they have posted on is anything up to 3 years old!

I may be making all this up in my own head. [:)]

Lately there does seem to have been an abnormally large number of old threads raised Lazarus-like from the bowels of the Forum.  On occasion these have been a logical continuation of the original thread but more often than not they have been tangential.

In the northern hemisphere the bathwater swirls clockwise down the plughole, in the southern hemisphere it flows anticlockwise, on the equator is simply goes straight down with no discernible twist.  I wouldn't complain as long as it goes down rather than up.

Archived