Complete France Forum

Saving Word Docs as PDF files

Punch

Hi

I want to send some word documents to someone but if I send them as standard Word docs they can (I assume) be edited by the other person . I am assuming that if I converted them to PDF files, then this would make them un-editable?  So my question is how do I do this? Do I need to buy a programme file converter or something?

You do whatever you need to do to print the file (File dropdown + print, or CTRL-P or whatever).

When your print box appears on the screen, click on "Choose a Printer", or your equivalent.

Choose CutePDF.

It will offer you the normal box for choosing a filename and a location.   And hey presto, you have your PDF file! 

At least, that's how I do it.

[quote user="Punch"]Hi, I want to send some word documents to someone but if I send them as standard Word docs they can (I assume) be edited by the other person. I am assuming that if I converted them to PDF files, then this would make them un-editable?  So my question is how do I do this? Do I need to buy a programme file converter or something?[/quote]

For the same non-editing facility, I used CutePDF to convert my gite rental contract (and T&C), but somehow somebody managed to convert the contract before filling it and and emailing them back to me as Word formatted...

To this day, I don't know how they did it... but that doesn't mean much as I am not very tech-minded!!

Yes, if you have access to the full Adobe Acrobat software, which is the professional way of creating PDF documents, you can usually extract and alter the original text. Files created using some of the non-Adobe software are not particularly secure. I don't know Cute PDF, but find that files created using the PDF converter from www.pdf995.com are generally OK.

[quote user="Will "]Yes, if you have access to the full Adobe Acrobat software, which is the professional way of creating PDF documents, you can usually extract and alter the original text. Files created using some of the non-Adobe software are not particularly secure. I don't know Cute PDF, but find that files created using the PDF converter from www.pdf995.com are generally OK.[/quote]

Thank you for that Will. I shall use it from now on...

I tend to use OpenOffice rather than Word these days and that has a built-in PDF export. It seems 100% accurate export, includes the normal PDF options (initial view/thumbnails, image compressions, etc.)

I have found that whilst you can open a Word document in OpenOffice, some things are not 100%. Normally its the layout of the page margins and header and footer.

If the PDF export is something you will be doing quite often you might like to try OpenOffice (free download and very easy to you - particularly if you use Word already).

Ian

Wow,  popped out to replace some ridge tiles on a roof and come back to whole list of helpful options!

Thanks for all the replies I now have pdf995 installed and I will also take a look at Open Office although I probably won't need to change now that I have the converter installed.

Archived