Complete France Forum

Vacancy - RFU

JSA Aude

It's grim for we English (but not so for the rest of you), to see how far we have fallen in the last 3 years.

When you think back to the World Cup, we had 6 players who would arguably have made it in to a World XV - Johnson, Dallaglio, Back, Hill, Dawson, Wilkinson.   Now ............ none of today's England team would even be nominated.  Best thing about today's defeat was the obvious joy of Pichot when being interviewed.

Rob Andrew will now (effectively) take over, whatever the 'public face' says.  Robinson out by Christmas - if fact, probably well before.

Have exchanged emails this evening with an old Welsh adversary who was at Cardiff this afternoon.  He said that the best cheer of the day was when the Twickenham result was announced.  Bloody Welsh!!!.  

It is rather.  Jude and I used to be regulars at Twickenham.  I remember in spring 2003 saying to her as we left after yet another record victory that we could not take this run of form for granted and we had to remember those moments and savour them as we would never see the likes of that England team again. 

They were just hanging on to that form by their finger tips by the time the World Cup came around.   I didn't think the slide would be quite so disastrous afterwards, though. [:(]

I think that he's still involved with Leicester in some capacity or other.

However, it doesn't matter how good the coach is, if you don't have the players, then you can coach till the cows come home and still get beaten.

I've watched rugby for a good few years at every level (schoolboy, through junior club, to senior club & international) and every really successful side has always had a good fly-half and a capable scrum-half.  The other positions are important of course, but the half-back positions are vital.

At national level, we don't have them just now. 

And with respect to Martin Corry, we don't have an inspirational leader.

Depressing rugby times ahead.  

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

Depressing rugby times ahead.  

[/quote]

I think we can probably also remember when old England teams couldn't win a Lucky Dip.  That's why I live in the blind hope that the next game will be the one that turns it around and everything clicks.  There's faith for you!

I think that Hodgson has turned into a weak link - I remember when Wilkinson was doing wonders  there were pundits who were saying Hodgson was better.  Course, you need the ball first!

[quote user="Ian Horn"]  It just makes them (NZ) a 'racing certainty' next year, doesn't it?[/quote]

This coming World Cup will be no fun to watch and is bound to be steamed rolled by NZ.... it will be a bit like watching the Grand Prix with Schumacher winning each and every race : BORING !!!...... Now that Schumacher has retired it's going to be more interesting.... if only NZ would announce their retirement from the international rugby scene.....

Dear Ian we can all relate stories and obviously we played someone on Saturday at Cardiff and ok first half then went downhill second half.  I watched the match on television and yes I heard the roar.   Here you must forgive us but we have been stuffed so many times by the guys from HQ that we are entitled now and again to have a little crow.  There is seriously nothing meant by it.

Still we can remember when young Mr Evans skirted around Rory Underwood can we not and then was it at Wembley when in the last moments a jinking try and then the kick from the touchline by Neil.  Of course the triple crowns from the 1970's but we cannot live on memories today is for today and I do not see the Welsh this season going very far.  On the face of it England seem to have some problems as well. The Irish look a handful and perhaps it is down to them and France for living here they tend to get a bit stung and react accordingly.  Paris in the spring is entirely different to Lyon and playing the best team in the world.

Robinson and Andrew chose the players who were playing best for their clubs, but a great club player will not necessarily make a good international straight away. How do you find out who might step-up? You gradually introduce them in a team full of seasoned internationals, not by throwing them in wholesale as Robinson was forced to do by the levels of injuries.

It comes down to money. The rugby clubs since the advent of professionalism have struggles to get to a point where they are near breaking even. They want their key players for the competitive league and Heineken cup matches.

So England’s best players play too much club rugby – collecting injuries – then are put together in the national team with too little time to meld together. Look at how the Irish system works for them - their best players do not even start club rugby until October.

Maybe it would be better if the top English players had contracts with the RFU, following the example of the cricket team.

On Saturday we had a back row playing out of position and would it not be a good idea to choose half back who play together at club level?

Having said all that it is hard to see how Robinson can survive and how about Ben Kay for captain?

It is easy from the sofa!

[quote user="Renaud"].........It is easy from the sofa![/quote]

Maybe we should have Fantasy Rugby tournaments like the footie brigade have their Fantasy Football tournaments. There must be someone somewhere who has set a Fantasy Rugby tournament... I 've got my team all ready to go and put some trys in!....

I have entered 50/50 with a colleague a Fantasy football team. Moi [8-)] who knows nowt of footie ! .... So far our team is at 12th place.... out of some 50 teams entered I think we're doing OK.

[quote user="Llwyncelyn"]

Here you must forgive us but we have been stuffed so many times by the guys from HQ that we are entitled now and again to have a little crow.  There is seriously nothing meant by it.

[/quote]

Believe me, you're fully entitled to your crow.  My friend in Wales who recounted the news of the 'cheer (or roar!) has been quite restrained in the extent to which he has been milking it all  - but it can't last.  He's going to really let rip sooner or later!

Just one thought unrelated to the recent results.  When penalties are being taken, the amount of whistling and shouting gets worse every season.  It has always been bad in France, but I've noticed the situation deteriorating at Twickenham and (surprisingly) Cardiff.  In Dublin on Saturday though, there was virtual silence.  Good for them.

[quote user="Missy"]

Maybe we should have Fantasy Rugby tournaments like the footie brigade have their Fantasy Football tournaments. There must be someone somewhere who has set a Fantasy Rugby tournament... I 've got my team all ready to go and put some trys in!....

[/quote]

The Torygraph had one for the last World Cup, as did some other online sites.  I was rubbish!

Having seen the selected team for Saturday -

Charlie Hodgson is a great club player because he plays for a club whose style of playing suits him. However he has never stepped-up to international level against the really tough teams, despite constant chances, also it is clear - he is not a reliable goal kicker - by the by where does the idea that the no10 should be the goal kicker come from? It used to be the full back.

Charlie Hodgson has been proved wanting too many times. The Argentines targetted him and so will the Springboks. His defence is too weak and he stands too far back from the scrum. I would prefer Ellis, he may not have proved himself at this level and might be less naturally gifted but given a decent run he could grow into the role. His goal kicking is better and his kicking from hand under pressure is more reliable.

Still there is good news in that England have our best full back and wings playing, also the nos 11 and 12 have met each other (even play together at club level) and the back three in the scrum are playing in their preferred positions.

It is easy from the sofa!

Oh well, forget the above post, we lost yet again.[:'(] It seems that was the final nail in the Robinson coffin, he can resign or be fired.

Martin Johnson has gone on record to say Robinson should be replaced & he's 1st choice, we can only hope he'll step up to the plate & take it on.

If he doesn't, then the choice could be between Warren Gatland the New Zealander who didn't do a bad job with Ireland, but great with Wasps & Nick Mallett, English born but more South African now, did quite well with South Africa & then did well with Stade Français. So who do you fancy out of these?

Archived