Complete France Forum

What is this obsession with Christmas Cards.

Bugsy

The scenario at this time of year.

Into the loft and find the tree, the baubles and all the other stuff. Usually banging your head in the process.[:'(]

Spend 3 hours trying to get the lights to work on the tree, before giving up, and because those bulbs are no longer available, making a note to go and buy some more.

But then come the Christmas cards and comments start flowing, like;

"Whats the address of ********" ?

"Oh, we've just had a card from ****************, and we haven't sent them one"

"Did they send us one last year "? etc, etc.

Why don't we all agree to save the cards we get, put them in the loft with the other stuff and bring them out, the following year ?

Think of all the trees that could be saved, and the money, come to that.

Happy Christmas................................[:)]

all said tongue.in.cheek.

I agree we should save the trees so I only use cards made from recycled materials.  But sometimes its difficult to keep in touch and Christmas is the perfect time to do just that.  I have cards from friends I haven't heard from all year, but its nice to know they still remember me.

[quote user="cooperlola"]'Cos as I get older, I like to know all my mates are still on the planet!  It's surprising how many friendships I have sustained over the years by just communicating once in December. [/quote]

I wonder if my MIL has told - more to the point remembered to tell - some of her friends or acquaintances who do send her a card that she has been a widow for the last 14years!!

I went to see her yesterday afternoon, to bring her some meals-on-wheels rations as she had a fall in her garden (the things you do in the line of duty!... Little Angel halo emoticon Please Mods!) and she showed me and was complaining that she still receives card saying 'Hope that John and yourself are keeping well! We hope to visit you during the next summer...etc.... '

'Mother did you tell them that John had died in 1992... ?'        'I don't need to tell them that! They know about it...'  she retorts!!   'Well evidently not Mother... they may not have your hobby of reading the orbituaries pages in the papers ....'

We were back in England for quite some time before xmas last year and over christmas and it felt very odd to me to be giving cards to people I was seeing.

Whereas living in France, it is a great way to keep in touch with friends all over the world. I used to be a great letter writer when I first moved to France.........what else was there[:D]. We didn't even have a phone when we first moved here for a couple of years. And then there was the phone and then cheap calls and then the internet and voila, I got lazy. I cannot pinpoint when I did, I just know that I am very lazy these days where letter writing is concerned.

So yes, for people like me away from people they like, xmas cards are a great idea and I am very happy to send them and receive them.

Archived