Complete France Forum

never change your lover in the middle of the night?

Pads

Im looking for an album by Millie Jackson That I think was called (The above title) If not called this it was one of the songs on the album cant find it for sale in the UK as I beleive it was banned about 20 years ago. Has any one every seen a copy or know where I can find one. 

Many Thanks

thanks Jay Jay, found (lisened to clip of the one i wanted on live and uncesored album and now brought , will look forward to hearing it again after 15years ish . The old album I had wasnt there , sadley i left it on the turntable  when i sold my old stereo years ago. but got new one with the same songs on

Thanks Baz

[quote user="JayJay"]

Well done Dirty Tom, glad you managed to track a copy down.

p.s. Can you go back to Pads now, please?[kiss]

[/quote]

Just for you sweetheart............................Happy new year  pressie xx[kiss]

But I was enjoying being a Dirty Tom

[quote user="Pads"]

Im looking for an album by Millie Jackson That I think was called (The above title) If not called this it was one of the songs on the album cant find it for sale in the UK as I beleive it was banned about 20 years ago. Has any one every seen a copy or know where I can find one. 

Many Thanks

[/quote]

Just noticed the Millie J thread.

Thanks for the CD link.

I have the 'Live and Uncensored' (contains Never Change Lovers ...) and the 'For men Only''.

The cover of the former has her in a shiny silvery dress on stage euh - Millie J style - and the latter with her in white lycra surrounded by 3 men in euh.. Millie J style [:D]. It never occurred to me to find them on CD but i think I'll get them too. Too scared my wrinkly but precious vinyls will scratch.

Her ''F*** U Symphony'' was an importart part of my musical education. And to think the Punks thought they were subversive.....

Wouldn't dare post photos of the original album covers on this genteel forum as I think the moderators would pass out[;-)]

Hello LangueocGal

It sounds like you have the original versions, sadley they were banned in the UK and re-released with cleaned up words. I have just ordered  the Live and Uncensored CD but I dont think it will be the original one looking at the date released, Do you have the original release date on the album cover? I cant beleive I lost mine, I use to lisen to it all the time It certainley gets you in a fighting mood when you need that boost hey?...............................[:D]      

[quote user="JayJay"]

Aw......thankyou![kiss] You're not a Dirty Tom though, um..............are you?[;-)] Don't answer that!

Happy New Year PADS xx

[/quote]

Sadley those days are over now , Im more a snoozing on the sofa in front of the fire tom now[:(]

[quote user="Pads"]

It sounds like you have the original versions, sadley they were banned in the UK and re-released with cleaned up words. I have just ordered  the Live and Uncensored CD but I dont think it will be the original one looking at the date released...............................[:D]      

[/quote]

Hi Pads

I ordered the live and uncensored (with the boring cleaned up American album cover) and ''Free and in Love'' CDs. Before doing so, I listened to the short excerpts on the site and they sound very much like the originals but you can only hear a few seconds. I hope they are as I do not want anything remixed. I bought ''Free and in Love'' because one of my all time favourite MJ song is 'There you are'' which is simply sublime.

I'm forwarding the bill to you as I'm banned from using my card due to it being ''worn out'', so I hold your original post wholly responsible for this frivolity[:D]

By the way, I bought it on Amazon.fr.

The one I have just ordered off amazon had (I think with out looking it up again) a release date of 1984/5 ish which is much later than the original dirty version, if you have the old cover of the LP there can you see the original release date? PS dont send me the bill my credit card has legged it and is cowering out in the garden somewhere[:D]

Pads, what a card cop out! OK, I forgive you even if my bankers won't[:D]

The one I have with the raunchy cover is by Towerbell. Release date 1985. It's the original 'Live and Uncensored' which is basically a compilation of a lot of her work of the 1970s. So, I believe that the ones we have ordered are the originals as I checked the titles and they were even in order. The Album I have also contains a little write up by Charles Clover of  The Daily Telegraph so this was the British release.

The address given for Towerbell recordings Ltd is London NW6 .  It contains 2 vinyls and 24 tracks.

By the way, I saw her in London once and Isaac Hayes was in the audience a few seats away from us (me poser, I know[:)]. She eventually presented him and we all, of course, went completely bonkers, not that we particularly needed any encouragement.

Amended: Charles Clover not Turner...

[quote user="Pip"]Yippee !  Pads is back !!  [:D][:D][:D][/quote]

You can only be a Dirty Tom for so long before the back goes.....................................[;-)] Did you have a good one Pip,? have a great new year[kiss]

[quote user="Pads"]

Hope this comes out

http://www.weirdwreckuds.com/biography.html

Have a look here. Yes I know what you mean late 70s early 80s bit blurry for me too[:)] 

[/quote]

Just had a read. Knew nothing about her stage career. Impressive lady.  I see her latest album is entitled 'Not for Church Folk!''.

She clearly hasn't mellowed with age. Fantastic! [:D]

You can only be a Dirty Tom for so long before the back goes.....................................  by Pads

I can say with good authority (having met you in person) that you are far more like a Pads than a Dirty Tom !  The Pads is much gentler ! [:D]

Yes, thank you I had a brilliant Christmas - not sure about New Year [:(] working I'm afraid.

Pads

A very tame Millie but a giggle.   Also watch ''If you're not back in love by Monday''.  The number with Elton John is as naff as hell and must have been a money making venture. The general quality of sound and filming is poor of course but I realised that the pictures on the 85 ''live and uncensored Album'' I have were all taken at this concert.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG3hHjSe_0M&mode=related&search=

Moderators, hope this is OK. I don't think a ''total'' Millie would be allowed on many sites but this is very tame, I promise.

What a voice .................., she should of been a stand up comic as well as a singer.

My new year resalution is to find and buy all her recordings this year. As I need a treat. I shall spend a lot of time on my exercise bike balling out her tunes to the neighbours[;-)]while getting fit   

[quote user="Pads"]

What a voice .................., she should of been a stand up comic as well as a singer.

My new year resalution is to find and buy all her recordings this year. As I need a treat. I shall spend a lot of time on my exercise bike balling out her tunes to the neighbours[;-)]while getting fit   

[/quote]

She was a stand up comic and that was part of her attraction. We left her concert in tears of laughter. If you are going to buy her records, you have to be a bit careful to avoid duplication, as there are a number of excellent compilations available.

All the songs stand up perfectly on their own but one of  the many unique things about her was her use of, what I would call the ‘’West African musical narration tradition’’.  In other words, a song could consist of a number of minis songs and last probably 20/30 minutes or longer, as it is a single story. She adapted this. Therefore, songs on her albums would often be part of the same story. This is illustrated a little in the link (Millie Jackson 2/2) above where she sings several songs in relating one story. The humour is also part of this tradition. And, of course, this is purely my own take on her musical style.

Here is a good title whilst on your exercise bike. On a bad day, if you have French neighbours, you could even ball out the **** U Symphony (written Phuck U for crap political correctness) without offending anyone. It’s very therapeutic. She talks about the hypocrisy of people who bought her records in the 70s and kept them hidden. She does not mince her words[;-)]

Of course, she did not get as much airplay as she could have done due to her lyrics but nonetheless had a significant following in the UK in the 70s. I started listening to her when I was about 12/13 and it was great to have an adult singing about things that ‘really’ happened in grown up relationships/life, which parents and society at the time refused to discuss with their kids or even with each other. Her lack of hypocrisy (a title of one of her songs) was a positive inspiration to my friends and I in our very delicate early adolescence. 

The problem was that a few ‘’relatively’’ explicit songs meant she was labelled as being a woman who sang about sex –no doubt reinforced on one of these clips. However, on the whole, she just spoke frankly about all aspects of  ‘relationships’ in a manner that few American and British adults could cope with in the 70s and probably even today, 30 years on.

It also has to be said that her marketing later played on and poked fun at the bad/raunchy girl image. Let’s face it, in her so called ‘raunchy stuff’ she was taking the piss most of the time and it was very funny. I remember an album cover with her sitting on the loo.  It was all very humorous and tongue in cheek but the dumb media and uptight adult population of the ‘If we don’t talk about it, it’s not happening’’ variety, tended to take her work on the most annoyingly simplistic level.

Having grown up with the music of Millie J, it was quite amusing to see how people later found the likes of  Bette Midler and Madonna provocative and daring.  These were well-behaved choirgirls in comparison.

Let’s just say, the Jackson 5, Osmonds, Bay City Rollers and others, targeted at my age group at the time, were extraordinarily bland after her.

Glad you liked it JayJay. Pity about the sound quality though. You should hear it on a proper stereo.

Archived