Complete France Forum

Ok own up if you've got any of these

Bugsy

Guilty! I confess... I have quite a few of them!!!

juicer: √

coffee makers: √ √ √ (yeah, really!)( but I do use 2 of them!)

plastic thing: yeah, all right, I have not counted them [Www]

mandolin: √

culinary souvenir: √ (paella pan)

pasta machine: X

garlic tools: X

bad kitchen knives: X (banned from my kitchen toolbox)

Got all of them except the pasta maker. I've also got a useless sorbet maker, bread maker, umpteen coffee makers (current favourite is a Senseo -  no connection, just a satisfied customer, so if anyone wants to send me any coffeee...) and several garlic presses. I still have a wok.

On a sensible note, if anyone, like me, is a fan of the 'old' Kitchen Devil knives, they are still made and available from the original manufacturers.

I'm quite proud to say I 'fail' only one of those categories

We have one bad knife, but it has a name (Little Blackie) and so is hard to get rid of.[:$]

Edit: I've just seen Fluffsters' post. Little Blackie is a 'Kitchen Devil'; or he was.[;-)]

All of 'em, except the juicer!! However, in my defence, I do use them all.................well, sometimes. The pasta machine hasn't been out for a while, and the cheese shaver I bought in Amsterdam airport only comes out when I take out a mortgage on a chunk of fresh parmesan. The Espresso machine will get used again when I change the plug. In fact, now I come to think about it, I lied about using them all![:$]

Er......... guilty too! Some do get used though.

Wok: Very 2 well used.

Juicer: Yes, not used as it's a swine to clean.

Coffee makers: Several variations of, but use only one, a Senseo.

Mandolin: A wooden one & a more modern plastic one, you know the one. At least it comes with a spike thing to preserve your fingers & not forgetting the thing to make wonderful spirals out of cucumber!!

Culinary souvenir: A cheese slicing thing, it's rubbish though & stuffed in a drawer

Pasta machine: Does get used on occasion.

Garlic tools: They get used.

Bad kitchen knives: None, only Kitchen Devils which are excellent & 2 well balanced & well used chefs knives.

Plastic thing: Lots of them scattered around the kitchen & in boxes! Why????

Nope cant say I d have any of these things but then I dont have a micro wave, dishwasher, tumble dryer, or wine chiller either , why do people want these things ? I d cook alot from scratch but these things dont make me a better cook.  

Wok, most definitely.

Juicer, why bother.

Coffee maker, thats an electric kettle - right.

Mandolin, never been musical.

Bread maker, yes, and well used.

Braun Blitzer, cant do without it.

Pasta machine, again well used.

Garlic tools, one press, its all you need and who can live without garlic.( plus the souvenir ceramic pot to keep it in)

Knives, plus oilstone, learn to sharpen, blunt knives are downright dangerous.

Kenwood mixer, well used.

Plastic things ? cant think of any.

[:)]

Practically none of them.

I've a coffee maker, if you can count a cafetierre as a coffee maker, but I have replaced the glass part 3 times and do use it every day

Garlic tools?  Doesn't everyone just splat it really hard with the back of a big knife?

Juicer?  Oh yes, I fell for that one, but when I realised how much washing up was involved for a few glasses of nutritional-and-healthy-freshly-squeezed-fruit-juice I sold it on a well known on-line auction site (to which I have absolutely no connection, etc) for almost what I paid for it.

I was given a steamer for Christmas. I'm quite used to using old-fashioned steamers, and I'm not yet sure if there are any advantages to it. I'm just about to steam some smoked haddock and some green beans, so will let you know!

I wasn't utterly happy with the poached eggs - took a long time and the yolks went hard.

I've also got a George Foreman grill thingy, looking round now for the one where you can put the cooking plates in the dishwasher. Usual foodmixers and so on. Can't move for gadgets, a lot of them being duplicated France/England.

No not many

I have a wok, a garlic press and a plastic thing for getting the juice out of lemons.

Used to have a bread maker but life's too short and the bread was rubbish!

I have an Italian coffee pot that makes great coffee, quick.

Thought I wanted a pasta maker but then decided that I really do prefer the cheap dried pasta and not the dear fresh pasta.

I wouldn't mind sourcing a stockist that sells the flours to make tortillas etc and a press, though [;-)]

[quote user="Fluffy Kitten"]I was given a steamer for Christmas. I'm quite used to using old-fashioned steamers, and I'm not yet sure if there are any advantages to it. I'm just about to steam some smoked haddock and some green beans, so will let you know!
I wasn't utterly happy with the poached eggs - took a long time and the yolks went hard.

I've also got a George Foreman grill thingy, looking round now for the one where you can put the cooking plates in the dishwasher. Usual foodmixers and so on. Can't move for gadgets, a lot of them being duplicated France/England.
[/quote]

Is that an electric steamer, Dick ? I use a John Lewis three tier metal one that goes on the hob. I really like that and we use it most days.

Also have a George Foreman and like you want to upgrade to the removable plate model.

We have a breadmaker which gets used and a slow cooker which we also use quite a bit.

We have a Braun blitzer and an electric hand mixer, somewhere is a food processor - not so keen on that now, although it has had plenty of use.

Recent good buys have been a flexible pink spatula that will stand the heat, (it was sold partly in aid of womens breast cancer awareness) and a champagne stopper that keeps in the fizz.!! (As Brucie would say - thats my favorite ! [:)])

The steamer is electric, and I can't remember the make. "Tefal" says Julie.

3 layers, boiler and condensation collector. It cooked the fish very nicely (took about 12-15 minutes for 2 fillets) and green beans (about 25 minutes) at the same time. The beans were well cooked because that's they way I like them, if at all. I've also tried poached eggs, but as I like mine dribbly they aeren't so successful.

It makes a fair bit of steam (duh) which might be a problem eventually. Not much cooking smell, easy to clean, mostly dishwasherable. I must say that I am not connected to Tefal in any way at all, but if there are any spare kitchen gadgets going...

I'm not sure if I don't prefer my old, battered metal one. Where this may be useful is where I have a lot of different veg to cook at the same time.

I think the dishwasherable George has to be next - they are so very useful (but dry out steaks - good for lamb and pork - don't try bacon, my son did...)

For a reason I fail to understand a teaspoon in the neck of an open champagne bottle keeps it fizzy overnight, Julie's tried it and says that it works.

I have got all of them except the mandolin and use all of them, have also got a sizzling dish which I do steak in a black bean sauce on, its excellent, what I would have to take on a desert Island is my magimix food processor,in the olden days when I could not afford two,I took it to France with me every year, it is 20 years old now and lives there all the time, it has done thousands of miles, even used to plug it in on camp sites,to the envy of my fellow french campers,my other half hiding in the tent.Yes I am fairly sad!!!!!

Also meant to say, I use my steamer all the time, it cooks perfect basmati rice and have cooked steak and kidney puddings in it,just top up the water when it runs out, they came out perfect,also spotted dick, my O.H. favourite.Do not put it in the dish washer though as my friends all broke up after two years, mine is still fine after four,just rinse it straight after use, its dry by the time you have eaten.

I bought a steamer that I was really impressed with and it was cheap as eggs. So I gave it to my son and bought another one which was a good make and drives me mad and have hardly used as it comes apart too completely and is hard to wash, even though it sounds like it shouldn't be.

I don't tend to buy gadgets and usually use what I buy.

What I do love doing is watching these demonstation things at fairs, my son and I are 'taken' with each gadget, but I never buy. I must admit the closest I have ever been to buying is one of those manual magic slicer things. I would love to have a go and if it worked for me, then I am sure that I would use it.

I had two great gadgets that I bought when I first moved to France. One was a Liefarht Chopper and it was brilliant, I used it just about every day. And the other was a tomatoe slicer. Both these wore out and the replacement articles were poor substitutes and remain in the cupboard.

How I envy all you good cooks out there !  I'm pretty useless but I do try for special occasions.  The things I couldn't do without though are as follows :

My electric steamer - everything tastes better cooked in it - good camouflage for my failings ! [:$]

My George Forman - thanks for the cleaning tip Gay - now no more elbow grease !! [:D]

My set of kitchen knives - OH keeps them well honed - worrying because he rarely goes in the kitchen so why does he keep them so sharp ?? [:-))]

We also have 5 different gadgets for making coffee and only OH drinks it. The latest one sits like a small metal robot on the hob and was bought on our last trip to France.  Hope he gets tired of it soon so it can go in the cupboard with the others !

Archived