Complete France Forum

Different Countries ranking on Global Emmisions

Bugsy

Too true WJT, maybe if more countries changed to nuclear electic it would help (having a power supply that trips out when you use the hairdryer and the kettle also helps[;-)]). Now that Bush wants to distract from Iraq by talking about global warming maybe the Americas will do something about it but one thing for sure is its happening, I've been gardening today in Lancs "upt north" and I can't believe how far the garden is on, looks more like March.

I noticed a few other things than just China and the future.  India, for example.  But labelling them "a country" is a bit deceptive.  They are really just a whole load of poor people who are getting rich, like we already are.  So if they don't change to another model than the one we used, they are going to make things even worse than we have.  I notice that the Saudis are as dirty as anyone, and the South Koreans, one of the most densely populated countries on earth, maybe third most, are also emitting away.  And Iran and Brazil.  What is crucial is that we stop emitting, by lowering our consumption, thereby indicating another model is possible.  All the rest is hot air. Unless we do something why shoudl the rest of them.  I won't even mention the many other problems of "waste" whch seem ot be overshadowed by the big hoo haa about CO2.

As for nuclear, it is not the answer by any means whatosoever.  Add up the cost of the nuclear power plants needed, and try to tell me where the money comes from.  They are astonomically expensive.  Try figuring out how a poor country is going to pay for a very expensive power station, no way.  Its an inefficient way of making centralised electricty, which itself might not be a good solution.  And the waste problem?   The massive emissions of CO2 during the mining of uranium, refining it, disposing of it and of the plants.... none of this is counted and people repeat, without always thinking hard, "no CO2".  Some knowledge of the waste problem alone is enough to scare one.  When they tried to sell of nuclear in the UK, and had to reveal all the costs, you might have noticed that no one bought.  Too expensive, all things considered.  The only possible answer is involves less consumption by us rich people, conservation (insulation, recycling....) and renewables. Good environmentalists have been saying this for many years.  Decades in fact.  But I guess it takes a bit of global warming or climate change scare to make people think.  The problem is, will they act?  Will anyone except extremists give up their consumption.  I doubt it.  And am glad I am going to be dead in a couple of decades for sure.

Archived