Complete France Forum

Now this is unbelievable and sadly true too

Russethouse

[quote user="Clair"]As much as I try to understand the American army protecting its own, I cannot see the logic in doing that and at the same time expecting ally countries to support their actions in future.
[/quote]

They don't expect all other countries to support them...just the UK, as they know Crony Blair will be led blindly into whatever they dictate as long as he is allowed to eat at teh top table with silly boy (oops sorry) George Dubya

Sticks in the gullet when the Americans seem to disrespect our legal process, isn't there a facility in the UK justice system for this evidence to have been seen just by the interested parties, not in open  Coroners court ?

Where's   Llwncelyn ?

As it that soldiers widow has yet another month of waiting for a verdict [:(]

Llwncln has left the building...

First of all, friendly-fire casualties happen, they always have. Usually they are plain mischance. These seem to have been due to negligence, which would open the way to almost unlimited damages, I would think. They are also very damaging politically and in terms of maintaining a cohesive support base for the war. Which is the reason why the tapes were not offered up straight away.

I have respect for all servicemen and women doing a difficult job where split second decisions are made under pressure. Inevitably and sadly some mistakes will be made. However, having read the transcript  of this video and others like it, it does appear that there is a 'playstation' mentality in the way Americans react and the terminology that they use when they are killing human beings from a distance.  I don't know if this is the same for all service personnel, I can only comment on  the US tapes etc that I have seen, I am not anti American.

The 'Playstation mentality' is encouraged; it makes it easier to get men to kill. In normal circumstances most soldiers will aim to miss - there has been considerable research on this - so enemies are dehumanised one way or another. I think after seeing the tape that their reaction shows that they knew exactly what they had done - but I don't understand why they didn't see it earlier. The 'Fog of War' is not a fiction, unfortunately.

Sorry, Chris, the US military has studied this and they have found it to be true, hence selection and training which looks for people who are less empathic. It is more of a problem in conscript armies. It was found that soldiers who kill are either psychopaths or men with a highly developed sense of social responsibility - prepared to do the deed for the good of society. The rest may be trained to shoot for the body, but when faced with the enemy shoot over his head.

This is not a new phenomenon. In the American civil war, after the battle of Gettysburg, they collected up the weapons of the dead. Most of them had not been fired, and some had as many as 8 balls and charges in the breech, where men had gone through the motions of loading, but had not fired. Hence the army's desire to dehumanise the enemy, especially by firing at a distance or mechanically. Later research found that the same attitudes applied, so specific training has been included to make it easier to kill, hence, I suspect, this friendly-fire incident.

It may well be different in small, well-trained armies. Certainly the BEF in 1914 was reported to take pleasure in seeing the enemy fall, but they were a very different case, a truly professional army.

Archived