Complete France Forum

shares

londoneye

sorry but this is a little mundane and has no entertainment value whatsoever but i would really like to know the answer if anyone knows.

i have had some shares (not going to make me millions (even millions of yen !) I hasten to add) for many years.    the values were so small that i gave up trying to minitor their progress some years ago.    after a bit of a clear out (!!!) yes i have found the share certificates, but somewhat predictably neither of the companies are coming up anywhere for share prices.   i take this to mean that they have probably gone bust .... but just before i bin the share certificates does anyone know a way to check ?

I have tried everything i can think of on internet - but nothing constructive seems to appear.    one of the companies looks like it might have sold out to another company, but again i dont know what happens to the shares if this is the case - perhaps you just lose them?    

To be honest the amount involved is small, but i keep having this sneaky (unrealistic!) feeling that perhaps i am throwing away big money if i ditch the share certs !!

sorry to bore everyone, didnt dare to put in financial section, because it has nothing to  do with france really !

Hi there

If you look at the share certificate somewhere on there should be the name of the registrar eg LLoyds TSB, Capita etc. There is usually an address for the registrar as well. Give these people a ring and they will be able to confirm whether the shares are still valid. If the registrar has changed that can be a bit more problematical but some research on the internet might help there too.

Good luck.

Sue

Also have a look on the companies house website. It is free for basic information and will show the history of the company and if/when taken over and by whom.  If it was a takeover of any sort, the shareholders (ie you) must be asked to vote.  If you do not, or they can't find you, you go on the 'Discenting shareholders register' This doesn't mean you lose what's coming to you but they have to park your name somewhere.  As was said before, the registrar is your first best step unless the firm did their own registrations(but this is unlikely).  A friend of mine had some CAMRA (campaign for real ale) shares he discovered after many years and with a bit of digging he found that there had been multiple takovers and finally he was entitled to a number of shares in one of the big brewerys and they were worth several hundred pounds so good luck!

well if you both lived around the corner i would be more than happy to share my massive profits with you !!!!!!!!!!

one company at least (of the two) is still in existence under a different name, but clearly has hit hard times in the past few years.     One email as per first responders suggestion and response within 10 minutes !!

So ................ what is £1.15 divided by three people now !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey ho, perhaps the other company has done better - its quite exciting now i am getting somewhere .. although it would be more exciting if i were in the position of your friend !!

Archived