Complete France Forum

Fantastic (or has the world gone mad)

Deimos

I see in today's BBC news that a school in Manchester has banned pupils from wearing knotted ties. No longer are they allowed to wear the traditional tie done with the special knot that I remember learning when I was a child. Instead they must now wear only clip on ties. Health and safety !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/manchester/6465695.stm

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

I see in today's BBC news that a school in Manchester has banned pupils from wearing knotted ties. No longer are they allowed to wear the traditional tie done with the special knot that I remember learning when I was a child. Instead they must now wear only clip on ties. Health and safety !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/manchester/6465695.stm

Ian

[/quote]

the only surprise to me is that it has not happened sooner.  I can recall it being a favourite pastime of our school bullies, to literally choke their victims with their own knotted ties.  I had a clip on attached to my school tie for years because of it.  No doubt you will get the usual 'its political correctness etc etc gone mad' brigade, but for me, if it stops a few kids going through some of the unpleasantries we went through, and more importantly helps them to enjoy school and prosper, then its a good thing.

Out of interest, I ran a query on the RoSPA website to see how many children were injured by ties each year.  It must be an extremely rare accident type, as they don't even list ties as a possible accident cause.  Cotton wool, however, was listed.  So I can only assume that more folks are injured each year by cotton wool than by ties!

Bring back the school tie and ban the cotton wool, that's what I say [6]

I was once injured by my school tie[:(]

I'd removed it, tied each end to the ends of my bike handlebars, and was riding home on my bike using the tie as "reins" when one end came undone.[:'(]

Damage to me was slight. [:)]Bike suffered buckled wheel after a car ran over it.[:@]

Thank heavens these people are looking out for our children's safety.  As chief says, bullies could use ties to strangle you.  However, could they not just as easily grab their victims around the throat?  Perhaps the answer is that all children should have their hands removed.

Only a week or so ago on the news, one more French schoolboy was found dead in his bedroom by his mother. The "jeu du foulard" seems to be very popular still, and his mother said he had become addicted to it and "played" it several times a day, him and his mates. I gather most people know about it: you semi-choke yourself up to just on the edge of unconsciousness. Up till then, I thought it was a sex game - but the fact that it was talked about openly on the news made me wonder if perhaps the boys might practice it sometimes without the sexual aspect? I don't want to get too graphic, although I imagine everyone knows what I am talking about.

Yes, in an ideal world, school bullies would be banned. However, it strikes me the powers that be prefer to believe this particulat element of society should be cared for. They are misunderstood are they not? And it was also something to do with the way their parents brought them up, was it not?

But heaven help the teachers who dare to chastise the school bullies and their ilk, for they are the ones who are likely to be punished for frightening the poor kids or, more commonly, be threatened by the parents of the bullies.

I know we have digressed a bit, but to overcome this problem in society, the remedy has to start at the top, government level, and then gradually filter down until bullies and other morons become socially unacceptable.

I just read 5-elements link and it also mentions another 'popular' game where you hold your breath for as long as possible. 

I remember as a child me my sisters and I used to make ourselves go red in the face until we were almost purple.  It was an awful thing to do I know,  but it used to make us light headed and giggly afterwards.

Thanks for the link - I've talked to my daughter about it and she said she'd never heard about it (fortunately!). 

[quote user="5-element"]Only a week or so ago on the news, one more French schoolboy was found dead in his bedroom by his mother. The "jeu du foulard" seems to be very popular still, and his mother said he had become addicted to it and "played" it several times a day, him and his mates. I gather most people know about it: you semi-choke yourself up to just on the edge of unconsciousness. Up till then, I thought it was a sex game - but the fact that it was talked about openly on the news made me wonder if perhaps the boys might practice it sometimes without the sexual aspect? I don't want to get too graphic, although I imagine everyone knows what I am talking about.[/quote]

It's played in UK schools too

Kathie

Ummmmmmm, it's not only practiced by males, there are women that like this also tho apparently (according to my book on such matters) men tend to do it as an auto-erotic practice whilst women prefer it during the sex act.

It is also the plot resolution of the Hollywood films Black Rain and The General's Daughter. In each case involving a woman!

Archived