Complete France Forum

anyone know about cars?????

laura82

Hello Laura

I'm no mechanic, though married to one.  It seems a bit strange that the starter and head gasket have both gone at the same time.  I can't help as I'm nowhere near your folks, but I would suggest strongly they get a second opinion.

Dotty

my dad speaks french and  hes spoke to them, at the garage,and  things dont add up at all !!!! thats how i know

i have spoken to a garage over here and if both them things are wrong on the car then in wouldnt cost even half of what they where asking to fix iT!!  im only asking if any one could help!!

This may be totally useless info - or not - but the head gasket and starter motor on our minibus went at the same time!!!  Our local garage quoted us an awful lot of money to fix the vehicle - and then submitted a much lower bill than expected because is wasn't as bad as they thought!  My mother and her husband (at the other end of France) have had much the same experience of French garages and would trust them over English garages any day of the week. My understanding of this is that they have to give you the worst case scenario when they give you a devis, otherwise they have to stick to it and lose money if it is wrong.  However, they seem to be honest and charge you the correct amount if a better scenario turns out to be the case.  Maybe we're just unlucky with vehicles, but we've noticed that in the UK, the opposite seems to be true.  ie if you get a quote, you can pretty much guarantee that you'll be charged that amount as a minimum - but  more than likely more!

Archived