Complete France Forum

Is the BBC too highbrow?

Le Petomane

In todays' paper a BBC spokesperson said that the Beeb is afraid that its programmes may be "too highbrow" and it will try to reach out to a larger audience. Quickly reviewing last month's programmes, I find nose-to-tail programmes on cookery, house makeovers, garden makeovers, dancing competitions, singing competitions, quizzes, medical soaps, cockney soaps, endless wildlife programmes - mostly film of lions at it like knives -  and programmes about programmes - "how-we-make-Dr-Who"- which must be the ultimate in dirt-cheap television. Who would now make a programme like "The Ascent of Man" - an intelligent presenter talking (and it was mostly a talking head) about things that matter? I don't want to be always watching programmes on the eternal verities of life, but the occasional verity would be welcome. Twenty years ago I would have gone to the barricades to defend the BBC. Now I think, why bother? Disgusted of Herault.

Hard to do a hollow laugh in writing, but I'll have a go.

Ha!

I'm with you 100% on all of that. BBC4 has some interesting programming, but it tends to be centred around popular and populist themes - so we have had all the programming on slavery, which has been very interesting, but I would like to be educated a bit. I tend to watch the 'factual' channels (whatever happened to 'documentary' in the dumbing-down process) but even then there is some dire stuff.

Sky Arts seems to be shaping up OK after the takeover, but no original programming that I can see.

Archived