Complete France Forum

An observation about deletions etc...

MrCanary

There seems to be a lot of complaints from posters on here about deletions and bans. These are both recent and historic.

It would be wrong of me to pass comment on what has gone before and who has been banned for what.

But in the few short weeks since I returned to this forum I am surprised that almost every time there are deletions or threads suspended, it is allegedly because other posters have complained about them. I am yet to see a deletion where the moderator has actully made the decision based on what he or she has seen. Not only that, but it strikes me that the deletions are for the most trivial of reasons and are probably only linked to an infringement of the forum rules by the most tenuous of threads.

I had four posts deleted this evening because another poster had complained the thread had digressed and, as such, pruning was deemed necessary! For goodness sake, if this is the punishment for deviation, whatever happens if somebody is blasphemous? And what will happen to me for being audacious enough to question what is happening on here?

Come on moderators, this forum is busy, potentially vibrant and generally very well behaved indeed. Surely a little bit of discretion is called for?

And to the posters who are flitting from thread to thread to find somebody to point an accusing finger at, I would say, do you really ought to be on here in the first place? 

Absolutely right Tresco and long may it stay that way.

I guess all the other prunings and whatever misdemeanours have occurred in the past are covered by.......

'Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant...'

To be fair, this rule has to be there, but I would urge a little discretion in enforcing it.

I agree with Prasutagus.

I have commented on another thread at the seeming randomness of deletions ...so wont repeat those views here (although those posts are sure to be deleted soon enough) ... I find the very notion of a 'conversation' staying 100% on topic bizarre, unreal, unhuman, etc , etc.

There is going off topic, and there is going off topic - only a bit of P's suggested discretion can distinguish between the two, and the many shades in between. Conversations that are real have a habit of diverting - that is life!

You would probably surprised how little is deleted here but often these things run in groups and it has been busier than usual of late.

When a post is reported the mods take a look and see if there really are grounds for action, or not, as the case may be. Of course we also notice things ourselves and take action, which may just only be a word to the particular author of a post or an edit, or a request for an edit. By the very nature these things frequently go unseen and unremarked up on.

This evenings deletions were in a thread where several members felt there was still something to say on the original topic,  members had commented both on the forum and by report.

There is only one thing that is sure as a moderator.......you can please some of the people some of the time...........

My 10p worth.  While some might enjoy the inane ramblings/wandering away from the original topic of the thread, some of us also enjoy reading and contributing to the original thread and enjoy how the discussion is developed over time between the various posters, and we/I don't really appreciate how for example a 7 page thread can have the first 2 pages of a really interesting and worthwhile debate contained within, and then the next 5 pages filled with utter nauseating drivel because someone chose to throw in a banal one-liner that detracted from the OP comment.  As is stated above.......'You cannot please all of the people all of the time........................

Thank you for your reply and explanation Ms Russethouse.

I am aware of the difficulties of moderating. It is not an easy task, yet it is - I fully accept - a very necessary, difficult and often controversial one. 

But in conversation and discussion, especially in an informal mode, it is not that easy to avoid digressions.

Professionally, I deal with the problem all the time. At interviews arranged to discuss a specific matter, journalists will willingly give the interviewee their first question - to be posed when the cameras start rolling. It is rare for them to go beyond that because the subsequent questions are going to depend upon what the answer to their first one turns out to be. Thus, a discussion/interview starts and evolves. Fortunately these days, most people put before the media receive some training - even if it is only ten minutes before the event. As such, they normally stay on track. The ill-prepared invariably provide much of the material seen on 'out-takes'  entertainment programmes.

In the same way, a subject on here that starts as information about one thing and ends up as something else is to be expected from time to time - and perhaps enjoyed? Having said that, this appears to most commonly occur in the lighter threads and surely that is OK? Generalised subjects will deviate - fact of life!

I fully support your efforts to keep the designated subject areas as such - eg. 'finance', 'driving', 'artisans' etc., etc., etc. 

The digression thing is inherent in any conversation, particularly when it involves so many people with such diverse views - some of whom can be a little prickly to say the least!  A major problem on here, it often seems to me, is that so many topics are covered over and over again, and some are done to death.  Regular posters on here who have watched these same subjects being discussed ad infinitum get quickly bored and digress, often referring back to old posts and conversations, which sometimes gives the impression that they are somewhat cliquey.  I for one don't believe that they are cliquey, or members of any kind of secret club, they just know one another well - at least in terms of cyber-space - and have developed a kind of shorthand which is lost on newer forum members.  Fine, this happens.  But when this just degenerates into insult flinging then it's not good for anybody and I, for one, am often relieved when the mods step in and put a stop to it.

Archived