Complete France Forum

Copyright issue in showing a movie/literature for free?

ClaireClear

I need to have a particular movie and literature like a text (from a book like Shakespeare's

work or a text-based case study like the one used by business

schools/MBA programmes) to be viewed by participants in an experiment

study for free legally. How can I do that by any chance?

For the movie, I was thinking to put a link to a

website where people can watch some movies online for free. That

shouldn't be illegal, I reckon?

I haven't found the website that has the movie I was looking for: The Merchant of Venice and WallStreet or Other People's Money.

I've tried peekvid etc. but still no luck so far. Any recommendations on these kind of websites would be appreciated heaps.

For the literature, I'm looking for again The Merchant of Venice

literature or one of these case studies used by business schools/MBA

programmes.

If I purchase my own copy and make that copy of mine available for others to view, would it be illegal?

[quote user="ClaireClear"]

I need to have a particular movie and literature like a text (from a book like Shakespeare's

work or a text-based case study like the one used by business

schools/MBA programmes) to be viewed by participants in an experiment

study for free legally. How can I do that by any chance?

For the movie, I was thinking to put a link to a

website where people can watch some movies online for free. That

shouldn't be illegal, I reckon?

[/quote]

It depends on whether the film is being legitimately hosted by the site - and you ought to check the sites' terms and conditions.

[quote user="ClaireClear"]

For the literature, I'm looking for again The Merchant of Venice

literature or one of these case studies used by business schools/MBA

programmes.

If I purchase my own copy and make that copy of mine available for others to view, would it be illegal?

[/quote]

It depends on the circumstances (and exactly what you mean by "make that copy available for others to view"), but for business school case studies (eg via the case study clearing house), IIRC the use is strictly regulated - especially if you intend to use it in a piece of work for which you are being paid. You really ought to contact the owner of the copyright of the material. Eg if you find a case study in a textbook, contact the publisher/author and ask for permission to reproduce it, making it clear what are the circumstances of its use and in particular the type of experiment and whether the experiment is being conducted by/through an educational establishment - and if so, what type of institution it is.

Regards

Pickles

Archived