Complete France Forum

The Koran

Clair

I read it when out in Kuwait many years ago. It's an 'eye-opening read.

The copy I read was an 'English' version but Arab friends said it was the same as the original. It's available in many languages like the bible.

I have an English language version of the Holy Qur'an. It was bought for me by an Indian friend and he was keen for me to have it after I kept asking many questions about his faith.

He bought it in London, but I do not know where. I have not seen him for some time now, but I can make contact with him again if you would like me to find out where he got it? However, it may take me a week or two to do so.

Mosque

Thanks Mel, I'd appreciate it.

I've had a look on Amazon.fr and there seems to be a lot of "interpretations" and "meaning of" books.

I am not quite sure these would be more suitable/easier for me to read, but they are still someone's interpretation of... if you see what I mean!

Yes Clair, I do understand what you mean.

I have just taken my copy from the shelf and its quite beautiful front cover says.....

'The Holy Qur-an. English translation of the meanings and Commentary.'

The pages, which as you probably realise, run from back to front, actually contain the full text in both Arabic and English throughout. There is then a substantial footer on each page with a good Commentary and explanation. I cannot imagine you will get a better, more complete, edition than this one.

Mosque

A point to bear in mind when reading it is how it is organised.   Mohammed wrote it is two distinct phases of his life.  The first part is (to my mind) very rational and logical and is moderate in its tone, the second bit, written later is far more extreme and is to me quite worrying.  Now the problem is that the Koran is not arranged chronologicaly. It has the longest verses first and ending with the shortest (or is it the other way round?) Anyway, it's difficult to pick out what is what, a bit like organising a library with all the big books on the left and the blue books on the right.  Might be worth doing a little background reading (Wikki is very good on this) before embarking on the full text and maybe getting bogged down.

Archived