Complete France Forum

Milk prices boiling over...

MrCanary

Are milk products going up in France at the same rate as the UK right now?

What I cannot understand is that this is apparently happening because the Chinese are drinking more milk. Now forgive me if I am totally thick, but I thought the milk I buy every week is produced in the UK for UK consumption, so how the heck does China come into the equation?

From today's Eastern Daily Press (Norwich morning paper)

"The price hike, caused by a worldwide surge in demand for milk, has prompted fears that the days of the traditional milkman could be numbered, leaving many customers in rural areas with no alternative supplier.

"The increase has been blamed on soaring demand for milk products in China and the Middle East, where living standards are improving and diets are changing."

The milk price thing hasn't really hit yet in France, but it won't be long. A large part of Germany's milk has been bought /contracted to China, so yes, the story is true and it isn't only milk. I assume that in France the farmers have a contract with a fairly local dairy which collects every day but if prices are higher in neighboring Countries it will surely filter through. Slightly different, but in the region that I am in tankers come from Germany to buy the honey from consortium's of small producers and pay a good bulk price for it. Prices of foodstuffs are generaly rising, some quite sharply as a result of world grain shortages, hence meat goes up due to the price of animal feed.

Interesting subject and interesting to see what is happening.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, interesting, but jolly annoying too. I know we have a global economy, but there is something in me that sees milk as a locally produced necessity for local people. I would like to think tht my local farmers would not dream of getting a few bob more by selling OUR milk to outsiders...

Or would they?

Archived