Complete France Forum

Does anybody think they really have seen a ghost?

MrCanary

Hi there Mel, everybody thinks i`m mad but...............;when we first moved in here i kept seein something out of the corner of my eye and every night at about 8 oclock we`d hear the barn door closing even if we`d already closed it. Same time every night.Six oclock in the mornin we`d hear it again. There was one room in the house  i`d never go in by myself, always thought someone was watching me, breathing over my shoulder sort of thing.Then one night i walked into the kitchen and saw my OH coming down the stairs except it wasn`t him cos he was sitting in the lounge so thats when i panicked a bit. i did get someone in to cleanse the house, they picked up on the bad feeling in the room that i wouldn`t go into by myself. Nothing else since then. Someone on another thread once said that pulling an old house to bits can disturb things ( the dead) don`t know about that but i definately think there was something here but now its gone. Do you think you`ve got a ghost?[:-))]

I have not seen a ghost.....but experienced somthing strange .....As a single man I lived in a rented  flat in Eyot House  D'Oyly Carte Island in the middle of the river in Weybridge ...Eyot house is a big spooky looking place if you want to look at it that way that should have a ghost if any place has one ....The house has lots of timber in it minstrel gallery  that sort of thing so  lots of creaks as it cools down at night ...One evening quite late  I was alone in the flat watching TV when I  heard a   noise in the bathroom ...I went to see what is was and found the cystern in the toilet filling  with water ...the handle was one of the old rubber pull  type on a short bit of chain  hooked onto the lever and it was swinging ....The flat door was shut the yale lock in  place ....I was alone in the flat and even looked under the bed  convinced ......the flat had been entered .... I dont believe in  ghosts ! ....On questioning the manager of the building I was assured the duplicate keys were in the locked cabinet and no other person had any access to the flat.....I  was later told by the guy in the flat below  "Funny things happen here " ....If it was a ghost .......it was a playful one ...

I used to live in a castle til 2000 . One night, I was on my own, I was  in bed, when the light was switched on...  I sat in bed, surprised..

Got up, switched it off.  Went back to bed, the light switched on again... it happened three or 4 times. I was really scared but just like you I thought, " I don't believe in ghosts" ..

I did not sleep much that night yet ...

This is the place

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/chatoriou.jpg[/IMG]

I am the world's number one sceptic and non-believer in things supernatural - but - I am sure that I share my house with, well, something. From when we first saw our house we had a good feeling about it and when it was actually ours and we spent a weekend cleaning odd things happened. I was upstairs, hoover was plugged in but switched off in another room when it started up. Dodgy electrics I thought but no, the switch was now in the 'on' position. Hmmm, OH playing games? No, she was downstairs at the other end of the house. This happened twice more, and lights going on too. Since then, we (and other visitors) have felt 'something'. Never malicious, just playful, often internal doors open that were firmly shut. I even took pictures of shut doors to prove to myself that they were shut, only to come back and find them open. Funny thing is that we also get a feeling of 'approval' if we do something to improve the house or especially the garden, difficult to explain but we would not do anything to make our resident spirit move on if she (and we are certain its a she) doesn't want to

I love these interesting tales...

Not sure Geordie - our house in the Loire is about 250 years old and, amongst other work, we have built two bedrooms in the grenier and put in a staircase from what was the small lounge. After driving there from Norfolk on a recent visit, I was taking a well earned nap upstairs with my wife and son downstairs in the kitchen. When I got up after about an hour's kip, they both told me they had clearly heard somebody walk up the stairs whilst I was sleeping..... Oh dear!

Ah don`t worry Mel, next time you`re in the house by yourself and you can hear the creaks & groans of your visitor, and you`re really really really scared...........get your head out from under bedclothes and just say "welcome stranger youère not welcome here, now leave me alone and shut the door behind you" 

Archived