Complete France Forum

amazon scam ?

Pads

I made an order yesterday on Amazon books , today I have had an email saying they couldnt process my card as I must of typed it in wrong and could I re-entre the details .... Has any one heard of any kind of scam where some one could of picked up my order info ? As my card is preset into amazon and I have made lots of orders on it and never had problems before !! Or is it safe to follow their links to re put in my details ?

[quote user="Pads"]Or is it safe to follow their links to re put in my details ?[/quote]

Personally I would use your own address for Amazon - in your drop down address bar - to visit the site and check on your order to see if there is a problem. IMHO it is never a good idea to click on links in such an email without checking independently first.

Sue

I have looked on the site and it dosnt say anything just the normal, that the order is ready to be despatched. Thats why I was supisious , It says (on the email) if I dont re-entre my details the order will be cancelled, I think I will just let it be, and reorder if nothing turns up in the next few days    

You are wise to ignore the email.  If you had already received a confirmation email from Amazon immediately after placing your order, then your card was processed and accepted, the Amazon site confirms this by giving the status of your order as ready to dispatch.  If you later received a second email, it's suspect.

You might like to read this

http://daol.aol.com/articles/scams/amazonphish

[quote user="Pads"] It says (on the email) if I dont re-entre my details the order will be cancelled, I think I will just let it be, and reorder if nothing turns up in the next few days    [/quote]

You could log back in again to Amazon and send them an internal mail and tell them that you have received a dodgy sounding email and see what they say.

Do I remember you saying some time ago that your computer was acting oddly, being very slow etc, and your OH wasn't home to check it out for you? If so there is a possibility that you might have picked up a piece of spyware from somewhere that is reading the sites you visit but obviously not the https bits where you input your payment details - which are secure.

Sue

Edit: Cat's reasoning is probably more accurate than mine

I have since had it checked out and was told it was OK !!

But if it is an iffy email its a bit worrying that they knew what I had ordered  [:(]

I may take it back for another check as its still crashing while im on the internet [:(]

Thanks everyone [:)]

I had this about 2 weeks ago with the card I always use. My first port of call was the bank, to see if they had refused payment with the card. The answer was yes and the reason they gave was that my address did not match correctly. (I had typed the address into amazon ages ago) When double checked there was a slight mistake, which I then rectified and all was okay. But you must contact your bank because there will be a stop on accepting your card and they need to remove that stop before you can use it again. There is obviously a clamp down on using cards over the internet at the minute by the banks and more checks are being done, why else would my card suddenly be refused, when it has been accepted for ages with the slight address error....

Well that was my experience, no harm done, but I understand your concerns - Good Luck

Pads

If you've had your acknowledgement email from Amazon, yes, its been accepted, as Cat says.  But indeed, it would be best to check both your computer and the bank, in case.  Though I suspect the fact that they know what you've ordered may be due to the increasingly sophisticated techniques being employed by hackers and such these days.  As someone also said, ignore all emails which ask you to go to a site and input whatever it may want.  Always a scam.  If it is something (like this) that you have an interest in - ring to find out, using the numbers you already know work.  Much safer.  Hope this doesn't derail your preparations for your trip to France!

[quote user="spg"]

[quote user="Judith"]Pads

Hope this doesn't derail your preparations for your trip to France! [/quote]

Not an option, IMHO.

Sue [:)]

[/quote]

[:D]

It would take a steam roller to stop me going to france or a missed flight [:-))]

Bank says card is Ok , amazon did send the email as they said the info on the card was incorrect , but as it was the same as every other order and i hadnt changed any thing  I find that hard to fathom..... Plus the e-mail I had back from them to say it was a real one had written on it we never ask for personal details by email , yet they had sent an email asking me to follow their links to re put in my card details!![8-)]  I dont understand that.    

Archived