Complete France Forum

Should China now cancel the Olympics?

Gastines

With yet another earthquake in China plus several aftershocks,we have seen a tremendous effort to aid the injured and homeless. At present a staggering figure of 2380 reservoirs and many dams are threatening a disaster of an even bigger scale. Surely it is now time to cancel the Olympics and concentrate all efforts,physical and financial, on dealing with the humanitarian side and not wasting any such effort or time on a showpiece!!

I think the way the Burmese Junta has delayed relief is a world power scandal.

Regards.

Surely the decision is for the Chinese Govt to make, its their country.

Regarding "Burma" ( by whatever name you wish to use), despicable behaviour by the Govt without doubt but a "world power scandal"? I'm not sure how that can be said. Only the UN could realistically use force to overcome the Burmese Govt and that could easily have ended up in a shooting war, how that would have helped is anyones guess!. If the UN vote to use military force to overcome a sovereign govt just who do you think would be asked to supply the bulk of military forces. Sorry, it's not, and never was, an option. Behind the scenes diplomacy was and is the only option in those circumstances, distressing though it may be.

Ref China, I was hoping that they would decide to concentrate ALL their resources on rebuilding/rehabilitation in the earthquake zone.The Olympics can wait surely?

Ref Burma. I wasn't suggesting an all guns blazing  entry,I did think it would be simple enough for the powers that be to say we are here to help for 3 months,non agression,and depart leaving all the help/aid donated in the required areas. Watching the soldiers unloading transport planes by hand as no fork lifts were available seems to indicate that a little extra help is required. I don't think UK/France or USA would be firing any shots with China looking after Burma. I think many of the AID charities are a bit apprehensive of where the AID might end up.

Regards.

Ref Burma. Non agression is fine as long as both sides see it the same way. It would have only taken the undoubted paranoid Govt of Burma to have over reacted once and taken out an aid / military flight then you have the shooting war. Its an unfortunate fact of life but a Nations sovereignty must be respected (are you reading this GWB?) or you are adopting a dictatorial World Order and would be seen, by some, as an invading force.

Reality is very harsh sometimes.

If China want to continue with the Olympics then the only other option would be for the rest of the World to refuse to attend, this is not going to happen and if it did how do you think the Chinese would react to such "loss of face"?

Perhaps I have not put my point over correctly or succintly. If Pres Sarky said to the Burmese Junta." Now look here, we can't just stand by and watch tens of thousands of people suffer or die because of your paranoia, we intend to land 1000 tons of food and medical supplies by un-armed forces in the Irawaddy Delta" do you think the Burmese Colonels would shoot them? How can the humanitarian act by France possibly be seen as an act of aggression?

Regards.

Archived