Complete France Forum

Renault Megane hatchback diesel

virginia.c

Like many others I suspect, I am starting to think about a diesel, rather than petrol, car.  I'm also thinking about a French car (though not left hand drive because most of its use will be in England.  The diesel Megane hatchbacks have caught my eye, but I'd be glad to hear from any current owners.  Are they economical?  Are they reliable?  Are they comfortable?  Are they fun to drive? 

Any other comments/personal experiences gratefully received.

[quote user="virginia.c"]

Like many others I suspect, I am starting to think about a diesel, rather than petrol, car.  I'm also thinking about a French car (though not left hand drive because most of its use will be in England.  The diesel Megane hatchbacks have caught my eye, but I'd be glad to hear from any current owners.  Are they economical?  Are they reliable?  Are they comfortable?  Are they fun to drive? 

[/quote]

I think a test drive would be a good place to start.

Done that.  I've only got the sales blurb to tell me about petrol consumption.  The test drive didn't tell me anything about how reliable a car it is and I wasn't able to really put my foot down with the salesman sitting next to me.  I'm really interested to hear from anyone who currently drives one.

Now.. it gets confusing.  Do you mean the sport hatch BB or the Renault Sport.  The latter being the more expensive souped up version?  I hear what you say about the Audi, but, I'm trying to be very sensible now.  I've never had a sensible/economical car before so this is new territory but for  regular journeys to and from south west France, and plenty of miles in the UK too I absolutely have to be (here's that word again - sensible!)[:)]

[quote user="virginia.c"]Ah.  I've been trying to ignore this particular version.......  IT'S NOT SENSIBLE BB!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

You're quite right, of course, get one of these instead

ps, if you do please let me have your phone number..............................[:D][:D]

I don't run a Megane but my Nissan has the 1.5DCI Renault block in it.  I get 20kms to the litre out of it on average, although my car is lighter. 70,000ks thus far without a hiccup from the engine (or anything else, for that matter).

EDIT: But all in all, I'd go for Bugs's suggestion!

You are probably repeating yourself Coop, but which Nissan do you have?  I think I may be going off the Megane based on a distinct lack of finding anyone prepared to own up to having or driving one!  Also, they seem to depreciate horrendously.

I have a Micra, but all the diesel Nissans have Renault engines these days, as they are 49% owned by Renault.  Personally, I think the build quality is better, and I had a petrol Micra before so just made a straight swap when I moved here.  The problem is that the equivalent sized Nissan is an Almeira which I think is possibly a bit dull!  You might look at the Note though, which is based on the same (really lovely) chassis as the Micra but much more spacious.

[quote user="virginia.c"]...distinct lack of finding anyone prepared to own up to having or driving one.

[/quote]

Give us a chance - some of us have had other things to do while the big boys impractical toys stuff was going on. Our English car is a Megane, (current shape) though not the hatchback version. It has done well over 100,000 miles and gets an honest 55-60 mpg depending on whether it is just being used round town or on long journeys.

I don't think depreciation is any different from most other normal vehicles in Britain; you just have to accept that in France second hand values are unusually high. If you buy a near-new, e.g. ex-lease one then somebody else can suffer the initial depreciation for you.

And, for the would-be Jeremy Clarksons, our car for France is something rather less boring. In fact one of Jeremy's favourite marques.

It's a 1.5dci. Which I thought might be on the small side for what is, in the Sport Tourer (i.e. estate) version, not a small car. But it is more than a match for the 1.9 Peugeot that preceded it, and uses a lot less fuel. And the car in France is nothing too flash - an Alfa Romeo.

[quote user="virginia.c"]

[/quote]

How about a Dacia - a Renault in everything except name, country of origin, design, price to name but a few ? These are becoming relatively popular around here due no doubt to the deep pocket, short arm design of the locals.

John

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="virginia.c"]

[/quote]

How about a Dacia - a Renault in everything except name, country of origin, design, price to name but a few ? These are becoming relatively popular around here due no doubt to the deep pocket, short arm design of the locals.

John

[/quote]Sold complete with paper bag to put over your head whilst driving it.  You're right though, loads of them about round here.

[quote user="cooperlola"]But, Lynda and Richard, the Renault diesel's service interval is 2 years or 30,000ks.  That should also be factored in, if you are aiming to keep the car for a long time.[/quote]

Same as my petrol 206cc. Plus services are not expensive (not compared to the extra thousands spent on a diesel).

And I thought I'd heard of pretty much every car going!  Never heard of a Dacia though - will have to look into it.

L and R.  Interesting what you say about the petrol v diesel cost arguments.  Was talking to someone in the know about mercedes estates today.  He said that there wasn't much in it at the moment, given the extra cost per litre of diesel.  I started to look at 2 year old C class estates (Kompressor) 1.8  but the fuel consumption figures are awful.  An estate would be good for the travelling backwards and forwards.  Plenty of space for carrying lots of gear and dog too.  Trouble is, much as I want/need to be practical about this, I do like a bit of speed and acceleration.  Don't think I'm going to find something fun and cheap to run too.  It may be too much to ask???

It's something most people never seem to take into account the fact that diesels are significantly more expensive to buy. Also parts and labour tend to be more expensive too. It's not just about fuel. Of course a diesel engine would last longer generally than a petrol, but it would depend how long you intend keeping it.

I dare say if you are doing lots of k's in a year (perhaps 40k plus), then diesels would be a cheaper alternative.

I compared buying a 206cc diesel to the petrol and found it would take about 10 years before the diesel started to be the cheaper option.

Archived