Complete France Forum

travelling ipods

suzi05

Hi All

As we generally have quite a few travelling waifs and strays staying with us, all with the ever present ipods, we are forever finding stuff installed on our computer that we don't want! We've just heard (from one of our young friends) of this website where (I think I'm correct in saying - although I'm no expert) people away from their home computer can access their iTunes thingy, and download stuff without installing unwanted programmes on other peoples machines! The website is called www.playtripper.com and I thought it might be useful for any of you who may (like us) have au pairs / workaway type people, or a "public" machine for the use of your gite guests. (Also posted on gite owners).

Here's hoping the rain goes away soon!

Suzi

www.patiras.com

Hello,

I don't want to worry you but are you aware of the risks to which you expose yoursel allowing others to use your ISP contract.

First it is almost certainly contrary to your ISP contract, second, you may be liable for illegal content accessed via your connection when you allow it, third... If music is illegally downloaded to your IP address it will be you who is liable... Not your long gone guest. 

I will not go on but you need to think about this.

You don't say whether you use XP or Vista but with both it is possible to set up a limited A/C for guest's which can be set to prohibit installation of programmes.

Controlling download content is a bit more difficult and whilst I won't go as far as the previous poster I think you are definiately exposing yourself because it is a fact that everything that goes on on your intenet connection is your responsibility.

Archived