Complete France Forum

Poxy Tennis - a gripe

AnOther

In France you pay the TV licence with your Taxe d'Habitation.

I believe you can declare that you don't have a TV and thus avoid paying it but I don't know what the enforcement procedure is if caught with one afterwards, the guillotine perhaps [blink]

'Weakest Link' & 'Eggheads', you really do need to get a life [6]

Yes ErnieY

But after a day with teenagers with attitude, and about 30 at at time and in a hot classroom, a bit of near mindless stuff does calm the nerves- either that or booze which isn't my thing.  I leave that to Mr T.

Here you pay quite a bit more, AND to attempt to declare that you don't have a TV I hear is almost impossible.

Regards

Tegwini

I see the bloody inconsiderate bast*rds have done it again.

Another promising new programme, George Gently, totally scrubbed for a bit of jumped up poncy ping pong.

Just discovered it as I timeslip all my TV and wanted to watch it tonight.

Grrrrrrrrr

[:@][:@][:@]

Yep Ernie Y, of course 13.5 million viewers would have rather missed a match that both Borg and McEnroe have described as the best they have ever seen in favor of a series that can just be started 1 week later - the match was the best TV I have watched for a long time.......[:)]

(edit - in fact I could watch it all over again.....[;-)] )

13.5 million hey, really ?

Worldwide maybe but on BBC, come off it, thats nigh on 25% of the population of UK [:'(]

Roll on the Olympics - not [+o(]

EDIT: The facts, from The Guardian

"BBC1's tennis coverage attracted an average audience of 7.4 million and a 39% share between 1.30pm and 9.30pm. The action peaked at 12.7 million viewers for the 15 minutes from 9pm.

[:P]

I find tennis tedious and mind numbing. Women's tennis is better than men's because they only run to the best of three sets and the women (usually) have better legs.

What really gets my goat though are the interviews - top class tennis players seem to have the conversational ability of a first generation speak-your-weight machine.

Wimbledon is on for 2 weeks out of the year.  Occasionally, a particularly important or exciting match over-runs and people jump up in the air and complain.[:)]

What about having one's viewing disrupted because of a football tournament (in which none of the home teams played) or for other European matches which may or may not include a home team?

What about hours devoted to obscure Olympic sports or horse-racing or darts or rugby?

I agree about the studio interviews, though.  Thank goodness for digital - there's always another match to watch instead.[:D] 

Now that Wimbledon & the Euros are over I'll not be watching very much on the telly.  I love watching sport - tennis, footie, boxing, MotoGP, rugby, golf etc. etc. etc....... ) & personally find all the soaps, game shows, British dramas & “I'm a celebrity & I've got no talent” type programmes totally unwatchable. Sorry that some people have their essential viewing interrupted, but there are us out here who just can't wait for a decent bit of sport on TV.

Roll on the Olympics!!  [:D]

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

What really gets my goat though are the interviews - top class tennis players seem to have the conversational ability of a first generation speak-your-weight machine.

[/quote]

I think they're pretty poor too - as on screen discussion participants they're interesting but as commentators as the match is in progress, I think they're generally too busy watching the tennis to speak. On the other hand, cricket for example is marred by pointless wittering by the commentators discussing which player said hello to them when they went out to a restaurant they can't remember the name of somewhere in a suburb they can't remember the name of. And we care... why? [8-)]

Ali-Cat! How can you say there's no sport... [:-))] The Tour is on TF2 every afternoon for the next 2.5 weeks. Apart from watching the competitors themselves, I enjoy getting the aerial tour of France and am thoroughly entertained by the efforts some towns go to to build models of local landmarks or attractions in fields. A few days ago there was a lovingly reproduced chateau built out of straw bales with the river represented by blue cloth - and people (viewed from the air) apparently boating on it... great fun.

[quote user="Thibault"]

horse-racing [/quote]In racing's defence it never over runs!  And because of the betting element is one of the most popular sports in Britain.  Having said that, I can see why some would find it (and motor racing or any of the other sports that interest me) boring.  Just as I find almost any sport where people chase balls around mind-numbingly dull.

Ernie, one of the good things about this was that I had completely missed the fact that George Gently was back (loved the pilot) - so now I haven't missed it and can record it this weekend instead (when I'll be watching lovely old motor cars run round LM all day and all night!)  Every cloud....

[quote user="Thibault"]

What about having one's viewing disrupted because of a football tournament (in which none of the home teams played) or for other European matches which may or may not include a home team?

[/quote]

That's not quite correct Bernie, granted they didn't progress to the latter stages but the Polish team played well enough.  Couldn't get a plumber for love nor money whilst the tournament was being played.

Archived