Complete France Forum

Mad or Glad ?

Russethouse

The designer Cath Kidston has teamed up with Tesco to offer an exclusive range of re usable bags at £3.50 each. The bags are made of recycled plastic bottles and 50p from each purchase goes to the Marie Curie Cancer Care, Great !!!

Checked out eBay and already their are sellers offering these bags, (which are described by some as 'hard to get ') at double and treble their retail price.

A similar thing happened with Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter - people were clearing the shelves until the manufacturer, a small company, simply could not keep up.......

Is this just sale and demand, or does it leave a  nasty taste ?

Well, one way of looking at it is that the charity has already received the full amount of money. So the only ones losing out are the public. And if they're willing to pay 3 times the amount, good luck to them.

But really, it's just another futile attempt to combat the global warming problem. I think banning all forms of paper advertising and junk mail would make much more of an impact.

I'd never get my shopping into a mere bag, be it Cath Kidson or whatever.   I keep my crate on wheels in the car boot (it also has a handle that slides into the box for storage), then whip that out to trundle around the supermarket instead of getting a trolley for a small amount of shopping.   The envious looks  I get from old ladies...............................

Besides I am not that much of a fashion victim that I MUST HAVE this latest gimmicky shoppin bag proclaiming my green credentials, indeed I am the only one in our hamlet who actually collects stuff and visits the recycling bins to deposit it.   Yes banning junk mail would have a far more profound effect than a silly little shopping bag. 

My 'normal' bags are a French straw shopping basket and a string bag from M&S,( I usually go to Waitrose and I 'scan' so items go straight in the bag)  but I do have collection of other shopping bags, I find pretty bags like this are good to give gifts in and are a cheap but appreciated extra.

I agree about all the fliers etc - just maddening - straight from the doormat to the recycling bin.........

I've been using a shopping trolley for 20 years now (how sad is that?) but try walking for 15 mins carrying a week's shopping and you'll know why.  However, from the days when I attended exhibitions for work, during the days when they handed out cloth bags instead of plastic ones to carry home all the product brochures,  I have so many, that I will never have to buy a shopping bag again .....  but I would never BUY a designer bag on principle - it's a shopping bag for heaven's sake, not an item of fashion .......  and somehow I don't believe all the hype about being good for the environment. 

I have a 'roller' (shopping trolley) and have had for some years, we take it with us to garden shows and antique fairs as well as shopping.....

I just hate plastic carriers and even more I hate those flimsy, good for nothing, hard to open, plastic bags they leave for customer use on the fruit & veg section [:(]

Among the "Useful" things my wife buys during the year to add to the daughters Christmas box are Truffaut shopping bags. They are always colourful and a nice design. With the Sales on now in most shops the hide-away Christmas cupboard is already bulging.I might add the presents aren't only off the bargain shelf!!

Regards

Archived