Complete France Forum

"Brit" gripe

woolybananasbrother

I agree with the OP.

Brit is merely short for British

Paki is short for Pakistani

Either they are both offensive (!!!)

or neither of them.

I once got into BIG trouble for saying Jap instead of Japanese.

How sensitive can you get?

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]It's the meaning behind them that's the problem imo. ie you can call a Frenchman a "Frog" in a light hearted manner, or you can call him a "Frog" in a nasty malicious way. It's all about the context. At the end of the day people are people and why does it matter so much where someone was born?
[/quote]

I agree with this comment however, I don't think you can really compare Brit to the term Frog. Frog could be compared with calling a Brit a Roast Beef or Limey, all could be taken in a light hearted manner of course or malicious. However, I personally cannot see how the term Brit could be taken in a bad way no matter the context. [8-)] I personally don't like the term Yank for American, inevitably the person saying it is using it in a very negative context. [:)] Never heard the term Septic but doesn't sound very nice.[:D]

Some 'non white' people either have very thin skins or else like to blame everything which goes wrong in their lives on perceived racism.

Offshore we occasionally have a guest chef who happens to be a Pakistani and a restaurateur and we look forward to his visits for his mean and authentic curries.

The first time he came somebody at the head of the nosh queue asked him his name to which he responded with a big grin, "call me Paki basta*d, everyone else does"

Now that's what I call a well adjusted attitude [:D]

[quote user="WJT"]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]It's the meaning behind them that's the problem imo. ie you can call a Frenchman a "Frog" in a light hearted manner, or you can call him a "Frog" in a nasty malicious way. It's all about the context. At the end of the day people are people and why does it matter so much where someone was born?

[/quote]

I agree with this comment however, I don't think you can really compare Brit to the term Frog. Frog could be compared with calling a Brit a Roast Beef or Limey, all could be taken in a light hearted manner of course or malicious. However, I personally cannot see how the term Brit could be taken in a bad way no matter the context. [8-)] I personally don't like the term Yank for American, inevitably the person saying it is using it in a very negative context. [:)] Never heard the term Septic but doesn't sound very nice.[:D]

[/quote]

Hmm see your point. Probably the term Aussie would be a better example and have the same connotations as Brit then. I can't see how either can be taken negatively.

Incidentally, how do Brits feel about being called Poms by the Aussies? Offensive, or a term of endearment?

Well, to be fair, it was all in the context when I felt my ridge rising, but somehow I would prefer, if I must be indentified in this way, to be known as an Englishman. The word Brit smacks of the Sun newspaper.

(Septic Island, Septic Isle = Sceptred Isle, ie UK. Frith knows what to make of 'This throne of kings" ,then!

Archived