Complete France Forum

Bizarre proposition

AnOther

• 3 months later...
[quote user="âme"]It's my understanding that France [...] has a policy of presumed consent. [/quote]

Not so.

If you have not made your wishes known, the decision is down to your next-of-kin, at a time where they will most certainly be distraught.

Make the decision yourself and let them know.

• If you DO NOT want your organs to be used after your death, you can be listed on the Registre National des Refus, which is systematically consulted by medical teams before any procedure. The register has legal standing and if your name appears on it, there will be no procedure and your next-of-kin will not have to make the decision.
  • if you DO want to be an organ donor, register your wishes by carrying an organ donor card and your next-of-kin will not have to make the decision.

Thanks for the nudge, I must see about getting a French card though God knows who'd either want or benefit from any bits of my abused remains [blink]

I still have my old UK donor card and I wonder if that would carry any weight. OH is in full agreement ?

I think your organs may not be accepted for transplant if you have lived in the UK in the last (X) years due to the possibility of BSE, certainly the case in Luxembourg.

My organs and blood would not be accepted for that reason (and the fact that I am still alive)

I think I'll see if I can have my spleen vented though.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I think your organs may not be accepted for transplant if you have lived in the UK in the last (X) years due to the possibility of BSE, certainly the case in Luxembourg.[/quote]

Not so in France.

This is true for blood donation, but not for organ donation.

[quote user="Clair"]

• if you DO want to be an organ donor, register your wishes by carrying an organ donor card and your next-of-kin will not have to make the decision.

[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that Clair. It took less than two minutes to complete registration and to print the donor card attached to the email reply.

interesting about BSE- would like to hear some more. I have a card in my wallet - but I also have a written note, dated and signed- in my diary, address book and passport. I think the most important thing is to talk to all our loved ones, so they know they must volunteer my organs if I have an accident one day. Mine all know of my wishes and would do so without waiting for staff to ask. I really believe we should have an opt out system in UK. I don;t know of a single person who has a relative who has ever needed an organ (especially those who have had to watch their loved one die as no donor could be found) - who doesn't believe it should be. People do change their mind on the subject very quickly when they are faced with the death of a child/parent.

You're right about the importance of next-of-kin being aware of your wishes, Odile, because ultimately it is they who decide and not you. There is a policy in the UK of acting on relatives' wishes, even if the dying/deceased has expressed contrary wishes.

I too, don't know of a single person who has been touched by transplantation medicine, who thinks the opt-out is a bad idea.  Not just organs, don't forget; corneas and tissue can make an immeasurable difference to the quality of life of their recipients.  

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Clair"][quote user="âme"]It's my understanding that France [...] has a policy of presumed consent. [/quote]

Not so.

If

you have not made your wishes known, the decision is down to your

next-of-kin, at a time where they will most certainly be distraught.

Make the decision yourself and let them know.

• If you DO NOT want your organs to be used after your death, you can be listed on the Registre National des Refus,

which is systematically consulted by medical teams before any

procedure. The register has legal standing and if your name appears on

it, there will be no procedure and your next-of-kin will not have to

make the decision.
  • if you DO want to be an organ donor, register your wishes by carrying an organ donor card and your next-of-kin will not have to make the decision.[/quote]

I'm confused.  I received a questionnaire today, from France ADOT, with the following

questions.

" Q4 - En France, si les circonstances et les

conditions médicales de notre décès le permettent, la loi indique que nous

sommes tous donneurs d’organes pour les malades en attente de

greffe. Néanmoins la loi nous permet de refuser le prélèvement de nos organes

en nous inscrivant sur le Registre National des Refus (R.N.R.) et/ou en

transmettant ce refus à nos proches.

Aviez-vous connaissance de l'existence du Registre National des Refus ?

Q5 - La

loi actuelle ne prévoit pas de registre équivalent pour exprimer son accord au

don d’organes. Le saviez-vous ?
"

This is what I'd understood from a leaflet

I read a couple of years ago, which is why I thought that France has a policy of presumed consent. Further, it seems from these questions that carrying a donor card counts for very little.  Either one is listed on the RNR, or it is the decision of the next of kin.

Or, am I misinterpreting it?!?

[quote user="Clair"]If you have not made your wishes known, the

decision is down to your next-of-kin, at a time where they will most

certainly be distraught.[/quote]Whilst one might like to think so Clair

I have little doubt that in some cases at least the word NOT could be interjected at a strategic point :'(]

Not in my case I hasten to add !

Archived