Complete France Forum

Seasick Steve Tonight BBC4

Dog

Take a mix of Woody Guthrie, Robert Johnson, Forest Gump and Fred Dibnah mix it all up and you have Seasick Steve. He has had a colourful life and lived in France for 5 years and busked.

Check him out on BBC4 at 8pm UK time.

Well worth a watch.

He plays a battered old guitar with three strings and always wears his oily John Deere cap.

[quote user="Bugbear"]"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left."

Thats his new album BTW..............

He is brilliant live.......................

Thanks D, for the nod.

[/quote]

I have not seen him live - where did you see him?

It was interesting to see he used to produce Modest Mouse a band I have liked for a year or two.

Modest Mouse early stuff was very raw.

I do miss seeing live bands - went back to blighty end of last year and saw 5 bands in a week.

Saw Steve Gibbons twice, difficult to beat in small venues. Was chatting to him after and I asked if he did much in France he said that he would be only too pleased to but that France didn't have an established circuit.

My bro hired him for his 40th and specified PJ Wright to play - was not that expensive. It would be good to get them over but I guess with travelling costs it would not be cost effective for one gig.

Saw Focus also that week 70s all over again. Thiis van Leer is hilarious and was most uncomplimentary about Jan Akkerman - new album is very good.

Ahh what a night... and some great old film later of various folk artistes.

I think I might just manage a one string gheetarr...

Robert Crumb has been living in France for some time I hope he watched just his kettle of fish.

Any Crumb fans around? Not only is he the greatest living cartoonist but a good musician and keen gramaphone record collector. He has many compilations available on CD of early 19th century rare music from all over the world.

I thought he should have done Seasicks album cover, he did a great series of detailed cartoons of various great blues players and plays banjo with Les Primatifs Du Futur. Some jazz - cafe music at its best. I am sucker for accordion music.

[quote user="Bugbear"]Dog, one for you.............I love this stuff, and have a huge collection, much to the anoyance of SWMBO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J34ZQT7_NM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGvci6EsFj8&feature=related

[/quote]

Sadly I have bas debit and cannot watch video clips - but I could see the titles - looks good stuff.

Have you seen or heard any of Robert Crumbs work?

One of my modern banjo favourites is Bela Fleck have you heard any of his diverse music - from classical, bluegrass and jazz?

Archived