Complete France Forum

Ageism and Capt. Sullenberger

tegwini

I was quite surprised to see Capt Sullenberger and thought he looked very old for a pilot.   And he is at 58.   BUT clearly lots of talent, skills and experience there too.

A friend's husband had to retire as a capt/pilot with Singapore Airlines and has struggled to get another pilot job - he now has,  but has to do courses etc because of his age.

I rather think it's a shame that older people are usually considered too old for many jobs, even though the law has changed employers and even the state discriminate against older people.   And, the UK government wants us to work longer.

In a plane I know I would prefer experience over youth !  (all things being equal)

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

In a plane I know I would prefer experience over youth !  (all things being equal)

[/quote]

About 20 years ago we toured the west coast of the USA. My wife had always wanted to fly over the Grand Canyon, so we made our way there and booked tickets. We were waiting in the departure when a young lad who looked to be about 16 (wearing jeans cowboy boots and hat) came up to us and asked which time our flight was. We told him and he asked us to follow him. So, the four of us troop out to the aircraft (Cesna) all the time wondering where the pilot was. Well, you've guessed now - he was the pilot [:D] and a very good one too. Still was a bit of a shock at the time though!

I used to regularly do the Newcastle to Belfast run in a Dan Air HS748 and the pilots were often women. 

In those days, they didn't always bother to close the cockpit door and on one particularly foul day after being thrown around by the turbulence on the approach to Aldegrove, we were treated to the sight of two young women pilots bringing the plane down onto the runway without even breaking sweat.....

Ah SD ............ you take me back.

I too used to fly on Dan Air 748's Glasgow - Luton via Leeds. Capt Yvonne Sintjes was her name (funny that I can remember that from 30+ yrs ago and not what happened yesterday!) Anyway, one of the 1st, if not the 1st, female captains in British civil aviation.

Archived