Complete France Forum

Re: Genealogy

Callie

Hello Puzzled, I thought I'd answered this but......

Here is a site which is worth looking at. They supply all sorts of stuff to do with genealogy. I got a brilliant family tree software for my Mac - Reunion for Macintosh - from them. Unfortunately there is very little available for Macs. But for PC there is much more choice.

www.GenealogySupplies.com

In the end, I think you probably get what you pay for. I think Roots Magic and Family Tree Maker are very popular and easy to use. And they don't have any naff trees ! But you can always add a phoney coat of arms yourself !!!

good idea RH - tell us what you decide in the end.

In Switzerland genealogy is 'esay peasy' as each name has 'un village/une ville d'origine' - where the name was first registered. All births, mariages, deaths are noted there in your family file. I have actually never been to mine- on the lsit of 'to do' things for we we (finally) move.

Puzzled I think this partly depends on what sort of success you've had in finding your ancestors. Some people just do one or two lines so it's possible to do a more or less straightforward linear chart. Other people, I'm one, try to do each line as far as they can. The best illustrated of these that I've seen is that of my French neighbours. She has used sturdy card to work on, but it could be copied to make something really decorative.

She begins with herself in the middle of the circle, then a band divided into two drawn around it and her parents in those sections, and then another band divided again and so on. She had used colour to show the different villages and the whole thing, even though it was her working document, looked quite attractive. It certainly beats my yards of lining paper because I don't like any of the software that I've seen.

Hoddy

I have spent the evening tracking down an ancestor, who I now think was born in Westminster in 1788, worked for the East India Company in Calcutta and was married there three times in 5 years, finally bringing his latest  wife and childen by assorted mothers, back to the UK, where they had a further child......I am pleased because I had thought I had come to a dead end with this line....the Swiss system sounds like a piece of cake......lucky you...

Very interesting thread .

Hard work for me since my dad is from Britanny and the family's name's  been " Frenchised "  over the centuries ( sounding too much Breton for French authorities, that was very common....)

Mum's from northern France, her mum ( so of course my gran) is from Belgium.

My grand father was of Spanish origins, ( Andalousia)

And here I am, born on the côte d 'azur ,  living in Poitou Charentes ..........

[Www] 

There are a number of companies in the UK that provide this sort of service and can produce family charts on any size up to A1 and in a number of formats.  I haven't got their details to hand atm, full of cold and need to hunt out some references/links but I use one company all the time for clients and have never had a complaint at all and you get to see a draft of the genealogy before they print it.  They, as most can, accept most of the major genealogical packages or can use the generic genealogy files. 

The only problem is when you have huge amounts of data and try to get that printed professionally.  In J's Armenian/Indian family we have literally hundreds of people in only 5 generations and even without pictures, that covered 6 sheets of A1 graph paper , which completely covered the office wall.  There is no computer programme which will allow all that to be printed on one sheet unless it's in a font size of .5, so unless you want overlapping sheets, you may need to be selective.

I also use the 'split generation' method but only when I'm producing books for clients, mainly because I think it makes lines much easier to follow, even when following one line, or when I'm producing one off pages for newborns.

I'll look out the references tomorrow (new computer, so haven't transferred them across yet) but if you're in the UK, if you buy one of the genealogical mags from Smiths (Ancestor from the National Archives or Family Tree Mag) here are loads of adverts in them, and to be honest, they're all much of a muchness price wise.

Edit:  Hoddy and Russet, at least the Ag Labs were like my East London lot, they had neither the money (nor probably the wit) to move too far so at least we know where to look for them :)

Hope this helps.

The line on my mother's side in Madagascar would be a labour of love...

Traditionally, Malagasy society is matriarchal, so you can rely on the female line, but as written records were very patchy prior to the French occupation, it would be difficult to ascertain who's who in the male line.

Also by tradition, the first child is raised by the grand-mother, not by the mother and to complicate matters a little bit, I know that my genetic grand-father is not the man my grand-mother eventually married...

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Very interesting thread .

Hard work for me since my dad is from Britanny and the family's name's  been " Frenchised "  over the centuries ( sounding too much Breton for French authorities, that was very common....)

Mum's from northern France, her mum ( so of course my gran) is from Belgium.

My grand father was of Spanish origins, ( Andalousia)

And here I am, born on the côte d 'azur ,  living in Poitou Charentes ..........

[Www] 

[/quote]

Nah Frenchie, that lot's easy - try Persian Armenians by way of Cambridge, the end of the East India Company, India, Pakistan and then to the UK, now that lot's complicated!

[quote user="Clair"]The line on my mother's side in Madagascar would be a labour of love...
Traditionally, Malagasy society is matriarchal, so you can rely on the female line, but as written records were very patchy prior to the French occupation, it would be difficult to ascertain who's who in the male line.
Also by tradition, the first child is raised by the grand-mother, not by the mother and to complicate matters a little bit, I know that my genetic grand-father is not the man my grand-mother eventually married...
[/quote]

No Clair, it may be a bit problematic but think of the CHALLENGE!

And a good place to go do the research I think!

Don't do the easy stuff - well, Huguenots and the French excepted - do Madagascar!

If you want a free-to-download program that is easy to use and understand and can create a good variety of charts and reports, try www.myheritage.com - it can become a bit slow when you have a lot of ancestors on there but I have found it very good. It can import and export the information in the standard gedcom format so if you want to upgrade later on to something more exotic you should be able to. You get some private web space so it saves automatic backups on the company's server, and you can invite friends and family members to look there at your tree - an excellent feature. It can cope with some of the rather more unusual marital relationships in my rural Sussex branch, so I am quite impressed. It also works in many languages, including French.

No, no financial interest.

Right, up and about again - long enough to look for but not to find the magazine in question.

I would contact www.TheGenealogist.co.uk who may well be able to recommend somebody or

The advertising department at Family Tree Magazine (they also publish other genealogy mags) at advertising@family-tree.co.uk who may well be able to put you in touch with somebody.

They also have a helpline but that is only accessible by telephone.  I've looked through the latest edition of the French genealogy magazines and can't see anything of that type there.

Drop me a pm and explain in a bit more detail what it is you're looking for, I may be able to help you.

Archived