Complete France Forum

Tax on house sale

Hoddy

Well, then, I dont think that makes any difference as regards the tax situation.

There have been so many changes concerning the length of time versus tax that I am no longer sure how long you have to hold it before becoming exempt. Perhaps someone can say. But if you have done a ton of work on the place this will reduce your bill.

You giving up on France, Hoody?

This seems to be pretty up to date and should give you an idea of any liability in France. Of course the. Yewkay may want a piece of the pie too:

https://www.vousfinancer.com/credit-immobilier/actualites/cession-d-a-une-rn-sidence-secondaire-et-taxation-sur-la-plus-value-quels-changements-pour-2018-

Hoddy, I think after 25 years' ownership of a second home, the French tax on the plus-value dwindles to nothing.

However, as mentioned above, the UK will be interested in the increased value of the second home, no matter how long you have had it. Though if you have incurred any French tax,I imagine they would set that against your UK liability.

I am in a similar position, having sold mine in November, and am trawling my files for any artisans' receipts to present in the hope of reducing my liability.

Archived