Complete France Forum

Any Sylvia Plath or Ted Hughes fans out there?

mint

Definitely not a fan of Sylvia Plath's works.

Much too dark and difficult for me although I have tried (not very hard I must admit).

I remember my mother writing a thesis on her works as part of her university degree (late developers in our family).

I also remember seeing her house in Palmers Green, North London, just round the corner from where I grew up.

The whole family will haunt me now, after reading that article.

Perhaps it is best after all not to be too talented.

I like her work but its a bit dark - contrary to what the article says suicide does run in families - it must prey on your mind and if you are depressive too - doesn't bear thinking about.

I feel for the man.

[quote user="bubbles"]Definitely not a fan of Sylvia Plath's works. Much too dark and difficult for me although I have tried (not very hard I must admit). I remember my mother writing a thesis on her works as part of her university degree (late developers in our family). I also remember seeing her house in Palmers Green, North London, just round the corner from where I grew up. The whole family will haunt me now, after reading that article. Perhaps it is best after all not to be too talented.[/quote]

Don't they say that genius and madness (or at least mental illness) aren't too far apart?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Don't they say that genius and madness (or at least mental illness) aren't too far apart?

[/quote]

Absolutely!  I've often thought sometimes it's better to be a little "stupid" at times. 

I'm afraid I could never get into either poet's work, far too complicated for little me.  But still it's sad when you get to such a state that suicide seems the only way out.

Archived