Complete France Forum

Life On Mars

TWINKLE

[quote user="Cerise"]It's her - she just doesn't work.  Even in 1980s policewomen wouldn't wear those clothes to work.  The urge to give her a good slap is overwhelming me.[/quote]

Have to say I totally agree and just can't seem to find it in me to watch her, infact I only watched half of it and then switched off!!! Something I would never have done with LOM!

Thanks for that, Clair - I found it interesting because I don't mind her character at all (wardrobe aside [blink]) though I know from what I've read elsewhere that I'm in a minority. She is getting a lot of stick for the way she's playing the role. Which is, I assume, the way the director/s want her to.

• 6 months later...

I'm dragging this thread up again as I noticed today that Life on Mars is being shown on French TV, starting this Tuesday at 20:45 on NRJ 12 [:D].  Hurrah!  They will be screening episodes one and two back to back.

Can't wait, and it will be interesting to see what Mr Cat makes of it, and if the cultural references transfer well for a French audience.

[quote user="Panda"]

and certainly never saw a single female policewoman like it!!

[/quote]

Obviously you were never a young copper in east London/Essex Panda, I seem to remember one or two moments tho it was in the 60s/70s and come to think of it, nurses wore stockings back then also.

Interestingly, talking to guys who were coppers back then as I was, how we all relate to both series.  Tho, as I've said elsewhere, if a police officer did those things today, they'd be drummed out - quite rightly so - but at least the clip round the ear mentality stopped a lot of what the UK government now calls 'low level crime' - they should remember that 'low level crime' still effects people tho they have very little in the more exclusive areas round Downing Street I suspect - where they have actually got police officers on their feet!!!

I bought both sets of DVDs after reading this thread and I was glued to the screen!

I think I've seen the series is being shown again on one of the BBC channels at the moment...

I can watch NRJ 12 on the laptop and I'll make a special effort, but I do have a great aversion to watching English/American programs dubbed in French...

EDIT: http://www.nrj12.fr/chaine/chaine_evenements.php?id=16524

http://www.nrj12.fr/op/life_on_mars/index.html

Clair said:...but I do have a great aversion to watching English/American programs dubbed in French...

I agree. Especially if I know how the actors sound in VO - the French dubbed voices are then really jarring. The other thing I've realised is that to a limited extent I lip read English so watching the words being said and hearing something different really confuses me.

• 7 months later...

Archived