Complete France Forum

Which is the most dishonest .fiddle expenses or not turn up ? .

Frederick

It appears that a lot of MP's who have already accepted their fate at being thrown out in next years election are no longer bothering to turn up and vote in the house .

They have been dishonest over expenses..now they are being dishonest in my view by taking their salary and no longer doing the job constituants put them there for ...If they have given up and already gone into retirement ..should they not now resign and have a by-election even if for only a few months before a General Election ?

To be honest (!) Frederick, I just think that it's all irrelevent.  As has been said many times before, this is a dying Government and the next 9-10 mths of it's life will see little by way of substantive action or legislation. A bit of window-dressing maybe, but not much more.

The scandal of the last 3 months has been a 'purgeing of the system', the need for which, few us were aware. Some, but not all, of the guilty will fall by the wayside and good riddance. The rest will (eventually) operate to a set of rules that most of us would find normal.

I think that the next Election will be the most interesting for years, even decades. Despite what they say, most politicians treat the public with contempt: I suspect that many from all sides of the House will find that they will get badly bitten in the backside! 

I am no longer a UK taxpayer, so I feel that I can have an opinion, but no longer a say. OH is, so both apply to her.  We'll be encouraging both our sons, who lamentably have never voted in their lives, to exercise their proxy in whatever way they choose.  I really hope that the turnout in the next Election, whenever it comes, is massive (by UK standards). 

[quote user="Gardian"]

To be honest (!) Frederick, I just think that it's all irrelevent.  As has been said many times before, this is a dying Government and the next 9-10 mths of it's life will see little by way of substantive action or legislation.

[/quote]

So true.

The memorable incident I saw involved Peter Haine on question time when faced with an LDV worker who had, with many others, just lost his job. This guy said that long after you have forgotten about LDV and people like me Mr Haine, at election time,we WILL remember you.

The look on Haines face was priceless.

[quote user="Frederick"]

It appears that a lot of MP's who have already accepted their fate at being thrown out in next years election are no longer bothering to turn up and vote in the house .

[/quote]

Yes, and none of the idle beggars will go near the HoC until mid October.

But to be serious one of the many weaknesses of the system is that it is next to impossible to get rid of an MP at any time other than a General Election - remember Stonehouse or was that Reggie Perrin ?

John

Archived