Complete France Forum

Two speed Europe

Quillan

That makes me laugh Frenchie. How can they not be European??? Have they somehow managed to extract the European DNA from themselves? lol

Trouble with the UK as I see it, in many ways they resist change. Take the measurement system. How stupid is it to have two systems in operation? Metric and imperial. Completely senseless and they seem to resist all change to the metric system (which is by far simpler). Get over it guys. It's only a system used to measure stuff. But I think it's that sort of mentality that holds the UK back in a lot of ways, and they just seem to stomp on middle ground.

Perhaps they would be better off out of Europe. They seem so far up America's backside, maybe it would make more sense to further become a state of America. I don't know.

[quote user="Richard"] How stupid is it to have two systems in operation? Metric and imperial. Completely senseless and they seem to resist all change to the metric system (which is by far simpler). Get over it guys. It's only a system used to measure stuff. [/quote]

You mean it's not a symbol of how great the Empire was? Where's your sense of history???

[:-))][:-))]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Richard"] How stupid is it to have two systems in operation? Metric and imperial. Completely senseless and they seem to resist all change to the metric system (which is by far simpler). Get over it guys. It's only a system used to measure stuff. [/quote]

You mean it's not a symbol of how great the Empire was? Where's your sense of history???

[:-))][:-))]

[/quote]

In the past. [:)]

[quote user="Richard"]That makes me laugh Frenchie. How can they not be European??? Have they somehow managed to extract the European DNA from themselves? lol

Trouble with the UK as I see it, in many ways they resist change. Take the measurement system. How stupid is it to have two systems in operation? Metric and imperial. Completely senseless and they seem to resist all change to the metric system (which is by far simpler). Get over it guys. It's only a system used to measure stuff. But I think it's that sort of mentality that holds the UK back in a lot of ways, and they just seem to stomp on middle ground.

Perhaps they would be better off out of Europe. They seem so far up America's backside, maybe it would make more sense to further become a state of America. I don't know.
[/quote]

The metric system has been taught for many yearly, probably 30 - 40, in UK schools...

Older people were taught imperial and it is easier for them, naturally, what's the difference between that and French people who still convert to 'old francs' [8-)]

If there is anything destined to make me feel anti Europe its the thought of President Blair !

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d2bc9380-afb3-11de-ba1c-00144feabdc0.html

[quote user="Russethouse"]

The metric system has been taught for many yearly, probably 30 - 40, in UK schools...

Older people were taught imperial and it is easier for them, naturally, what's the difference between that and French people who still convert to 'old francs' [8-)]

If there is anything destined to make me feel anti Europe its the thought of President Blair !

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d2bc9380-afb3-11de-ba1c-00144feabdc0.html

[/quote]

The difference is that the UK still insists on using two measurement systems, France only uses one currency system. Eventually the older generation will stop converting back into francs. It's going to take years before the UK only thinks in one measurement system because they still use two. It used to confuse the crap out of me when I was a kid. You learn metric at school, then come home and then my dad would insist I use imperial. What a waste of time.

I once was a teacher and, in the adjoining classroom, a newly qualified teacher was in charge.

Didn't know whether to be pleased or really upset when she put her head round the door one day and asked:

"How many pennies were there in a pound in the olden days, please?"

Archived