Complete France Forum

Direct Debit Cancellation

NickP

Go to the bank and ask them to cancel it?

But if it's for insurance, you need to be aware that as a rule rollover insurance contracts roll over by default if you don't cancel them in the proper way before the renewal date. They don't automatically lapse if you don't pay the renewal premium, like they do in the UK. For instance if you simply ignore the renewal notice for your car insurance, the policy will stay in force and the insurers will eventually chase you for the premium.

Thank you Norman, with the help of Google as you suggested I find that a registered letter to the company is the way to go. So It's been posted this morning.

A couple of interesting things this week, we changed phone and internet providers to Orange. As part of the package, my wife ordered a sim card, cost of card 1Euro to be paid only by credit card, the site refused a "foreign" visa card. so a friend who was with us at the time used her "French card". Also, I went online to LeRoyMerlin to order some boards cut to size, to be collected by me at a set time to save me queuing up. They also refused my Visa card. So next day we went to LRM in Tours, got the materials I wanted and spoke to a woman at the customer services desk and inquired as to why they refused my Visa card yet took it at the cash desk, as they have many times before. She told us they will not accept "foreign" cards online. Strange that in a country that embraces the internet they are so cautious, especially as I wasn't trying to spend 50million Euros left to me by someone in Nigeria who I don't know. Still, I got my purchases complete and cut to size. Happy days.

The problem with your card was probably the French merchant didn't have any way of getting a secondary verification e.g. 3D Secure (= Verified by Visa/Mastercard SecureCode) I usually get a message on my smart phone with a verification number I have to enter as the transaction proceeds.

French retailers require this verification for online transactions as it passes liability for any fraud from the retailer to the bank. So that lack of ability to verify your card was probably the reason for your refusals.

I didn't think it was a problem with cards issued by major UK banks? However there are a lot of cards issued by intermediary companies (especially debit cards) and those issuers have not yet all updated their systems to include the additional security.

Some of the bigger retailers use different methods of online authentication including background checking to speed processing if it is for smaller amounts (or possibly are willing to bear the fraud risk?) In stores there isn't a problem because you are present for verification with a PIN/signature.

The other problem is your card was a sterling card and you were buying something priced in euro. So the French service the merchant is using for authorisation could block the transaction as there is the additional step of currency exchange conversion involved.

Likewise, NickP, other than it is not the only card I have.  It is, however, the one I use most, since more of my income is in the UK than here. Doing it that way saves me transferring pots of money over, and I pay the bill from my UK account.  I think Mint does the same.  I usually have far more problems when paying with my CA card as their security needs a mobile ... not much use, if you don't have one!!  (Though I do, it still is problematic!).  Hubby doesn't, I often have to bail him out with my UK card, which almost always works.

NickP wrote:

When I use my sterling card which I have for many years as it's the only one I've got, I pay in Euros and my Bank does the exchange for the rate at the time. Simple

And I thought you said you had a problem with your card not being accepted?

Card security is a obviously big issue, causing banks a lot of expense, which is why the checks are getting tighter. But it isn't perfect; although 3DSecure should work, there is a comment on the Monzo blog saying they've had to deal with more than 20 different implementations by the accepting banks, etc. to make sure their compliant card is accepted.

As I said earlier, if that verification process doesn't work then the retailer is liable for any fraud, if they still decide to go ahead with the sale. Hence their caution. But the retailers also need to get their card-processing banks to get their systems working for all cards.

Pomme, I said that I'd had a problem with two companies. So to make the record straight, this is the first time that this has happened to me. I've been using my Credit card in France for over twenty years never been any problems before.

Archived