Complete France Forum

Store delivery to card address only

Frederick

It seems that card fraud with on line shopping is causing a problem with deliveries.. Today I wanted an item of garden play equipment delivered to my sons address..The web site would not accept the address..A phone call to the store resulted in me being told that due to fraud they will not deliver to any other address than the one of the card holder..I asked how they got on at Xmas when people may want presents delivered ?...The reply "We know where you are coming from but there is nothing we can do about it we cant deliver to your sons address it has to be yours " I would have thought if they had the money they would not care where the stuff was sent ...but apperremntly no...Seems a good way to lose customers to me !

[quote user="Frederick"]I would have thought if they had the money they would not care where the stuff was sent ...[/quote]I can't believe you said that and you would I'm sure be taking a different view if it was your credit card which had been fraudulently used and the retailer had delivererd goods to crooks at a bogus address !

In the past when I have encountered this problem I have beed asked to fax documentary proof to the retailer.

I can understand the on line security in place and am glad of it Its when you talk to the store they know they are talking to the card holder they have my home address and telephone number but they are not permitted by internal proceedure to deliver anything where the customer wants it to go It must go to the customers address .If I was a builder and wanted 1000 bricks at a site and paid by card I would not be happy if they were dropped on my door step and I had to take them myself ! Its a good job I have roof bars on my car looks like the play equipment I will have to deliver myself .

John Lewis will deliver to an alternative address, eg when I order flowers, they are delivered to a place other than the address of the card (which is just as well as I wouldn't be sending flowers to myself usually!), but if I do it online, I have to sign in etc.  Maybe JL's customer service is better (wouldn't be difficult) than some of those quoted/

Basically the rules are that if the person is not present then the goods have to be sent to the billing address. Some companies will send the goods elsewhere if you ask them, the problem comes if they get lost or don't arrive. Some companies allow you to set up an account with your details including your CC billing address then allow you to have things sent to an alternative address, Screwfix is a typical example as is Amazon. It's really about limiting the opportunity of fraudsters and I personally don't have a problem 99.9% of the time. Flowers are a different subject as many people order flowers to be sent to another address (Inter-flora is a typical example) and the CC companies don't have a problem with this. We use PayPal for our B&B deposits, I always use the email address on our copy of the PayPal receipt to send our confirmation of deposit paid even if its different to the one we have been using for the rest of our communications.

Archived