Complete France Forum

Prius cars

Hereford

If I were you I would look at Citroen cars, from the C2 upwards (according to my search on the Internet) they all have semi automatic paddle shift options. Paddle shift (trying to keep it simple) is 1 or 2 paddles (levers) on each side of the steering wheel. The 2 paddle system has 1 for down shift and 1 for up shift (on the opposite side of the steering wheel) where as the single paddle you push in one direction to up shift and the opposite to down shift, their both electronic so no force is needed (same sort of force required as 'flashing' your lights). There is no clutch just like in an automatic, it does all that for you which is why its technically (I believe) called a semi automatic. I am sure other companies have the same system (Honda, Toyota have them) so you just need to have a look around, they are no longer just for the expensive BMW, Mercs etc.

Renault have a similar system, hence I mentioned the Clio way back when.  Nice, economical diesel engine - the boggo DCI which is also in my Note gives me a consistent 23ks to the litre in the summer (mixed motoring  but mostly country and motorways). More like 18 to 20 in the winter when I do a lot of cold starting.

[quote user="woolybanana"]But how reliable are both the small Citroen and the Renault?[/quote]The Renaults consistently do well in the "Quelle Voiture" ratings for customer satisfaction - but that's the only mag' I buy here on a regular basis apart from Sport Auto.  Of all the big three manufacturers they seem to do the best overall but they are, of course, half Japanese and share many mechanicals with Nissan (who in turn use their engines.)  What I don't know is how reliable their automatic systems are - I have asked on here in the past if anybody has owned one as there was a chance I might have had to go auto myself at one point.

The JD Power surveys in both the UK and here have been headed for some years by Honda's Jazz (it's been top or close to it) and all  Hondas always do well - hence my posting of the link to their hybrid effort.

Archived