Complete France Forum

British bank accounts hacked and loadsa money stolen.

woolybanana

It seems that a British bank has been the subject of a hacker attack that got away with £675,000 pounds from online accounts. The bank had not yet been named. So, guys, better check those accounts. But, how can you if you have a trojan virus revealing your details to the hackers?

http://www.lefigaro.fr/web/2010/08/12/01022-20100812ARTFIG00374-des-pirates-pillent-les-comptes-d-une-banque-britannique.php

(babelfish and google wont translate it for some reason!)

Of course you have. [:D] Mind you I see the latest version of the virus was only updated for on the 12th August, the day after (11th) the Torygraph and Le Figaro articles. I thought you had to discover the Trojan/Virus first before writing somethink to kill it? Be nice to discover the names of the banks in the Trojan that it picks on (reading your link on what it does). [:D]

[quote user="Quillan"]Of course you have. [:D] Mind you I see the latest version of the virus was only updated for on the 12th August, the day after (11th) the Torygraph and Le Figaro articles. I thought you had to discover the Trojan/Virus first before writing somethink to kill it? Be nice to discover the names of the banks in the Trojan that it picks on (reading your link on what it does). [:D][/quote]

Now, now,Q! Try reading the text and NOT between the lines. The security fix was first introduced on 28 Jan 2010 and updated on 16 Jul 2010.[:)]

The date to which you make reference, whilst oozing with anti MS prejudice, is in fact the date on which the latest MSE definition update was released and rock all to do with the Trojan.

We are currently running on

Install the latest Microsoft Security Essentials definition updates

Latest antivirus definition version: 1.87.1828.0  |  Released: Aug 13, 2010 05:30 AM UTC

PWS:Win32/Zbot

Encyclopedia entry
Updated: Jul 16, 2010  |  Published: Jan 28, 2010

You need to go back and read it again more carefully. This Trojan keeps changing and has done since it was first discovered in 2008. To be protected against the latest version you of course need the latest update but to quote from the definition for this particular Trojan for which you put a link to and just in case you don't understand 'Detection last update' means for the latest version of this Trojan. There will of course be other virus's and Trojans added to the definition database at the same time but this page is talking about one specific Trojan.

Detection last updated:
Definition: 1.87.1764.0
Released: Aug 12, 2010

I don't have a problem with MS products, I have used them for years and years and have even been accredited by MS for some years before retiring but they are not the god you seem to think they are and in the case of AV software a very, very, late arrival in the market. Just because another product runs slower does not make it a bad product, some could argue (rightly or wrongly) that it makes for a better product as it is more thorough. The biggest plus point for MS is knowbody should know their own product better but then if they did they wouldn't leave so many possible security breaches in their operating system (one only has to look at the amount of security patches issued for each operating system version) which they keep having to plug. This is the problem of having such a big operating system that is developed segmented by many groups of programers then bought together prior release.

Ok. By coincidence the last update on my MSE last night ALSO contained an update to the Zeus Banker Trojan. Detection for the specific Banker Trojan began in Oct 07 2008, see below. The point that I was trying to make was that the next previous update would probably have given me a reasonable degree of protection prior to August events. For example the Zbot Trojan got a definition update on August 06 2010. If you wish I can scan through the period for definition changes in period 06 Aug-12 Aug for ther Zeus Banker Trojan to demonstrate how good MSE is...but I do have other things to do. For example Harmony Gold will delist from the Paris Bourse during the next Account Period, should I liquidate or opt for reregistering on the Johannesburg Exchange at no cost?[:)]

Definition version

Antivirus: 1.87.1341.0
Antispyware: 1.87.1341.0

Definition available date  (?)
Aug 06, 2010 05:36 AM UTC

PWS:Win32/Zbot (?)

Encyclopedia entry
Updated: Jul 16, 2010  |  Published: Jan 28, 2010

Aliases

• W32/Zbot.OAJ (Norman)

• Trojan.Fraudload.Gen!Pac.5 (VirusBuster)

• Pakes.ELY (AVG)

• Trojan.CryptRedol.Gen.5 (BitDefender)

• Trojan.PWS.Panda.218 (Dr.Web)

• Win32/Spy.Zbot.WM (ESET)

• Trojan.Win32.Bredolab (Ikarus)

• Generic PWS.y!brn (McAfee)

• Trj/Downloader.MDW (Panda)

• Mal/BredoPk-B (Sophos)

• Trojan.Win32.Bredolab.Gen.2 (Sunbelt Software)

• Trojan.Zbot (Symantec)

• TROJ_SCAR.HE (Trend Micro)

• Zeus banking trojan (other)

Alert Level (?)
Severe

Antimalware protection details
Microsoft recommends that you download the latest definitions to get protected.

Detection last updated:
Definition: 1.87.1764.0
Released: Aug 12, 2010
Detection initially created:
Definition: 1.45.287.0
Released: Oct 07, 2008

Archived