Complete France Forum

British Petroleum_Rolls Royce

pachapapa

Interesting but differing ways of handling a problem

1. One of BP's suppliers/sub-contractors seems to have been responsible for a problem but BP seems to have accepted all the blame

2. An engine drops off a Qantas labelled tin tube and the whole world is told that the blame lies with Rolls-Royce. Boing must think Christmas has arrived early.

John

Not to mention the Chinese, but I will, who will be buying several thousand new aircraft over the the next 10 years and currently favor Airbus. Lets not also forget that Boeing have made several attempts to 'sabotage' Airbus with claims on faulty cabling holding up production for years when it only took a couple of weeks to sort out and then trying to get A380 production stopped because they claimed the development was unfair as it was paid for by EU governments. So it would be of great interest to Boeing if the Airbus A380's were grounded for a long time. Bet they will be lobbying US airlines (and anyone else) to ground their A380's as well.

[quote user="Quillan"]Not to mention the Chinese.[/quote]

Very precient of you Q. It has just been announced that RR have won a very large contract in China.

From the BBC's web site:

Rolls-Royce's $1.2bn contract is to supply a Chinese airline with Trent 700 engines for 16 Airbus A330 aircraft, along with long-term servicing.

Interestingly, listen to this interview with the former BP Honcho, John Hoffmeister (ex Shell).

Listen here:

There were many rumours back in June circulating amongst capital markets that the US majors had mounted a hostile strategy to discredit BP utterly, drive down its equity value and cherry pick their best assets for cents on the dollar.

Seems as if the conspiracy theorists had some traction after all.

Having some little exposure to the oil and gas biz, I would not wholly discredit such ideas........

I just wonder what the outcome will be of the investigation, was there some external factor, volcano en route perhaps? having read that 2/3rd of the airbus's are fitted with RR as the ''lowest risk solution'' and the fact that the Trent 900 is certified at 70k, to 80k pound thrust, it looks to have quite a margin. China's not bothered[:)]

Meanwhile tonight  bp-tony-hayward-bbc-interview in which he says he 'He'd have done better with an acting degree'

Haywards 'gaffe' was that he wouldn't 'lay down' in front of the US committee but simply stated he had nothing to say until the results of the technical enquiry in to the disaster were concluded and the facts known. The way he was treated in the US is an absolute disgrace and those committee members should be forced to apologise because to blame 100% of the problem on BP was totally wrong. Sure they are the main contractor and ultimately responsible but there are a lot of others that should also share the blame (who I am sure will also be made to 'cough up' their compensation money). Still nobody will apologise, BP in peoples minds will always be totally responsible and the news companies have all moved on to crucify somebody else with a different 'news' story. Personally I admire the man for refusing to lay blame at peoples doors without waiting for the results of the investigate especially with the pressure he was under at the time.

[quote user="just john "]

I just wonder what the outcome will be of the investigation, was there some external factor, volcano en route perhaps? having read that 2/3rd of the airbus's are fitted with RR as the ''lowest risk solution'' and the fact that the Trent 900 is certified at 70k, to 80k pound thrust, it looks to have quite a margin. China's not bothered[:)]

Meanwhile tonight  bp-tony-hayward-bbc-interview in which he says he 'He'd have done better with an acting degree'

[/quote]

Chinese Eastern Airlines will be buying Trent 700s......correct river........wrong number.[:)] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Trent_700