Complete France Forum

Some good news

Weedon

At last this sorry tale has a happy conclusion.

''Pirate leaders argued over the expected ransom, it is thought that the money was raised from family and friends. Family repeatedly said they were not wealthy, and would not be able to raise the original £4 million ransom that was demanded. It is understood that the final amount paid was a fraction of that sum. ''

telegraph. Chandlers

It is true than none of us may feel very wealthy, but compared to Somali pirates, we must all seem so.

I'm glad they've been released - I don't watch the UK news much now, but happened to see last week or so an item about them, and I'd forgotten it was so long ago since they were captured, so, yes, good news, in spite of the ransom being paid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/country_profiles/1072592.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_in_Somalia

The country is in a mess no doubt about that, but that ransom money could go some way to trying to improve the life of its people.

Pleased they are safe, but if they do get rich of the back of this, they should pay their dues first. The British Government wasn't going to pay up to see them released.

[quote user="Gardener"]I hope any money that this couple make from their stupidity will be used to reimburse the Somalian government for whatever amount they chipped in for the ransom.[/quote]

In what way were they "stupid " ?  They planned a trip to avoid a troublesome area and because a bunch of  law breakers took to the high seas and moved out of their normal piracy zone  and kidnapped them for ransom  ...they are at fault ?  Sorry cant see it ... Are tanker captains stupid as well  ?

Why should we make excuses for them why are we being so soft on them ...They are well armed robbing thieving pirates who set out to take a ship and its crew ... Only one answer as it has always been with pirates ...The navy should take them off the high seas and send their craft to the bottom .