Complete France Forum

Downloading YouTube videos with Firefox, CHROME, OPERA & SAFARI

DerekJ

There have been a few YouTube videos that I wanted to have downloaded on my laptop and investigated a few options. In the end I opted for

Easy YouTube Video Downloader

I've used it a few times now (with Firefox) and it seems to work very well. Two of the videos were over 1 hour long... cycling classic videos plus some Tom Petty.

Just a thought in case you're interested.

The free version of Realplayer can do this, if you put the cursor over the YouTube video it asks if you want to download it. Afterwards you can convert it to the video format you want. Convert it to MP4 and you can stick it on either a CD or DVD and play it in your DVD player.

Don't know about the current version but for a long time Realplayer was classed as spyware and was something to be avoided. Some of us who have been Internauts perhaps for a bit longer than others do not forget and do not forgive and as there are so many worthy alternatives I'm with Derek on this one.

There are several add ons for Firefox for downloading Youtube videos, I tend to use Fast Youtube Downloader.

To be honest I have had it on my system in different releases for many years because I have a friend who always sends me video in RT format for some reason and of course the BBC used to send a lot of stuff out in RT format. I don't find it intrusive in fact the only way I know its there is when I occasionally look at stuff on YouTube and a little tab pops up on the top right corner of the video asking if I want to download it. I seem to remember that when it was actually called Real Player it did have some 'spyware' in it reporting back the type of stuff it was being used for but ever since it was renamed to Real One most of it I am told is gone. A good place to get a 'clean' copy with no Spyware is the BBC website because of the 'public service' regulations under which it operates.  Ironically a lot of anti spyware programs also contains spyware, if memory serves the most classic was SpyHunter.

At the end of the day it is of course down to personal choice and what you feel happy with. I have FireFox and Chrome installed on my machine for testing websites I construct but for personal use I prefer IE.

Archived