Complete France Forum

Time-lapse Northern Lights

Bugsy

Superb.

A couple of years ago I was told 'you need to be home by 16:30' with no other details.

Being the dutiful husband I was home on time, changed and then a taxi arrived and we went to one of the Gatwick airport hotels. I was then led towards a room with the comment 'I will have to tell you now but we are off to see the Northern Lights'. There were a couple of lectures and then off we went to an aircraft and flown north.

We only saw a green tinge, nothing spectacular.

As we flew back over the North Sea close to the coast the light pollution from Edinburgh was abolutely horrific.

A little while later a colleague went on a cruise to Norway staying for part of the time in Tromsko (sp) but even being there for a few days she saw nothing.

Would be very nice to see something spectacular like this.

The Discovery channel has been screening a series called Ice Road Truckers that have been set in Alaska and Canada whereby goods are transported to oil fields and remote settlements in the frozen North and can only be accomplished at certain times of the year when rivers and sea are frozen. Occassionaly there are shots of the dancing lights.

Paul

Archived