Complete France Forum

Cameras, again.

woolybanana

Slightly reluctantly, I think it is time to change my beloved Minolta Dimage as it just doesn't have the number of pixels for the stuff I wanna do, which is close up, either through the long lens or through just getting down and dirty. So, given a limited budget of £200, I was wondering what people might suggest as a replacement, svp. There is a Nikon on the blog which is just about in range pricewise, so what does anyone think of those svp.

I am a point and shoot sort of chap, cant stand too much fiddling about.

I'd get a decent, second hand SLR (something out-of-date but relatively recent D70 maybe) and then get yourself a good Macro lens if that's what you're into. 

For instance (after a very quick look):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Body-Only/dp/B0001ME26K/ref=sr_1_45?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306332938&sr=1-45

with

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00005LEN4/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1306333078&sr=1-1&condition=used

(watch the compatability though as you'd have to manually focus which you might not like).

I cannot comment upon Canons really, although if I were going Bridge or Compact, I'd be inclined in their direction, rather than Nikon's.  But imho, if Macro is your thing then SLR is best.

Not an advantage per se but a choice.  Do you want to do everything pretty well, or one thing very well  (with the option of spending more money later on to broaden your scope?)

The Coolpix (or a Canon/Fuji equivalent) will do what they say on the tin and I'm sure you'll be very happy.  However, if you seriously want to get into Macro photography and be able to get really close to your subject and focus properly upon it, then I'd buy an SLR.  I need to look at both the cameras you quote a bit more carefully because their Macro capability is not mentioned in the brief descriptions on Amazon. 

There are plenty of others on this forum who are keen amateurs (and possibly professionals) who'd no doubt have other views on this.

But there is a supper guest and one of the doggies is molting and I have been plastering - well, sticking something on the wall that could be called plaster and getting a finish like the Himalayas instead of something as smooth as Kylie's ***![:@]

Archived