Complete France Forum

Inkjet printers

Théière

I thought it would be good to share this information.

My cannon ink jet printer recently packed up (Print head )  at the repairers they said the quickest way to ruin a print head is to keep using it when the ink gets too low/empty. Apparently the print head gets very hot which is how they produce the "bubble" for bubble jet, when the ink is run out or very low they over heat and melt the nozzles or in my case crack the chip on the circuit board as well.

I have been working with InkJet printers, both Canon and HP, for many years, probably about 25 years, and thats the first I have ever heard of this. I am not saying it's untrue only that I have never heard of it before in all that time and in offices people only ever change them when they run out and not when they have nearly run out. The only thing I have heard is that using non manufacturers ink cartridges can cause problems, how true that is I also do not know. Companies like Canon and HP make their money on selling consumables, the profit on the actual printers is next to nothing whilst on ink cartridges it is somewhere in the region of 60%.

Q, I too have been using inkets of one form or another for some time and likewise no problems, maybe the older versions were better engineered. The problem began with blocked print head pattern printing, subsequently cleaned with a head cleaner but no improvement. The Canon service centre explained and showed us the damage although they had never seen it crack the plastic before so photo being sent to Canon. The nozzles in the later Canon's are the ultra fine 1picolitre so presumably can clog easier anyway or if they are fine enough melt easier too. Canon service agent said they should this information in the hand books as it would sell more ink but would save print head replacement. The panel on the MP600 and others warns when the ink is low and replacing the cartridges should follow pretty soon after that.

I have two identical MP600's with the same fault, hence why I bothered. One used by my friend who only buys Canon cartridges and myself who never buys Canon cartridges. (incidentally I also heard that not using manufacturers cartridges makes you infertile ruins you chances of finding true love and caused the water shortage in France) [:D] There is a massive profit from ink well above 60% it is one of the most expensive liquids on our planet.  

Piezo-electrics, two options, either heat or pressure, it has to be FAST, perhaps instantaneous is a better word.

Of course PPP in his infinite wisdom carefully selects an Epson D 4400 MultiFunction using piezo-electrics with NO HEAT PROBLEM.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/inkjet-printer3.htm

I do not want to get into an argument about adiabatic heating and cooling resulting from an instantaneous increase in pressure.[:)]

So leave yout Applied Thermo-Dynamics notes on file.

[IMG]http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/picturebouquet/CanonMP600printhead.jpg[/IMG]

This is the print head and the crack can clearly be seen below the cyan nozzles, the service agent had never seen one crack before and fowarded the picture to Canon. This printer has only ever used genuine Canon inks.

Archived