Complete France Forum

OX - Lion (for Mac users)

Bugsy

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

I have recently downloaded this to my Macbook Air and have to say that, so far, its a brilliant upgrade. At twenty pounds, its well worth the money.

You can upload it to two registered machines but, if you are still using a 'mouse' the benefits are slightly reduced as its designed mainly for a 'touchpad'.

One word of caution, it needs Snow Leopard on your machine to load and all SL software updates must be in place (version. 10.6.8)

As an additional precaution, I also disabled all my Photoshop 'plug-ins' before downloading.

[quote user="Bugsy"] if you are still using a 'mouse' the benefits are slightly reduced as its designed mainly for a 'touchpad'.

[/quote]

2 questions:

(1) So if you don't have a touchpad (I don't -  I work on a Imac only) is it worth it?  What other features does it give you?

I only upgraded to Snow Leopard earlier this year, and quite honestly, it does much more than I need even now, as old habits die hard (pre-windows days) and and I ususally have open only the windows I need at any one time.

so

(2) I understand that it is only available as a download.  Can you pay by credit card for it?  I use neither paypal, nor an itunes account which is what I read you need to pay by.....

[quote user="Judith"]

2 questions:

(1) So if you don't have a touchpad (I don't -  I work on a Imac only) is it worth it?  What other features does it give you?

[/quote]

Only you can decide that Judith, but here is a list of all the features. It does work well with a Magic Mouse btw.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

[quote user="Judith"]

(2) I understand that it is only

available as a download.  Can you pay by credit card for it?  I use

neither paypal, nor an itunes account which is what I read you need to

pay by.....

[/quote]

You will need an account with Apple (iTunes etc). You then log on to Apple 'Apps' and purchase it as a download.

Its around 3.5 Gb so don't even think about it with a dial-up connection. It took around 2.5 hours on my system.

Thanks both.  Most useful both links.  I do wish they wouldn't change things so much! - I like my mac like it is ....

I think I'll wait a bit and see how it progresses - certainly for the mo, I don't need most of the offerings ..... I've still to use all the Snow Leopard features!

Archived