Complete France Forum

Harvest Festival

LAiffricaine

Tis the season of mellow fruitfulness ... etc... and throughout the land Harvest Festival galore. My daughter is a teacher at a London primary school. She sent me this yesterday :

>>>It's harvest time and we are popping over the green to the local church to celebrate singing Hooray for harvest and cauliflowers fluffy. All the muslim parents have had to send the words of these songs to their Imam to ensure they have no religious meaning and therefore allowed to attend the celebreation of singing a song that goes like this : 
Cauliflowers fluffy, cabbages green, strawberries sweeter than any I've seen, beetroots purple and raddishes fat, marrows fattening hour by hour, beetroots purple and lettuces fat, broad beans round and runner beans flat.......
The other song:
Hooray for harvest jump for joy, hooray for harvest each girl and boy, hooray for harvest twist and shout, come and let us tell you what it's all about. 
... yes the songs go on - but is there a hidden christian, pagan meaning in this song??? <<<  [:-))]

Wots wrong with good old : All things bright and beautiful ! Surely Allah who is great does appreciate a thanks or two for such a wonderful world over which he reigns. 

Amazes me though that the words of such benign songs/ditties/praises have to be vetoed but the fact that the kids and mothers will enter an infidel's place of worship is not in the least questioned or considered. 

And the grandees of this land want to build an integrated 'big society' [Www]

We really have entered into the department of "would you believe it" now. 

There are lots and lots of lovely harvest hymns - why invent more????  - especially since these are so trite.  And I don't suppose the tunes will make up for the banal words either!

Indeed, Sweet,

I nearly typed "melody" instead of "tunes" but decided that it was even more of a misnomer than "tunes"!

There are very few of the "modern" hymns I like, some have become acceptable by being around long enough, but for me it is very difficult to beat dear old Charles Wesley for a raft of singable and excellently written hymns which have stood the test of time. 

Archived